Virtual Machine Questions

Started by
12 comments, last by Brain 5 years, 2 months ago

Hard to say. You do not know if there is any Service Pack installed, or updates, or VC runtimes, what DX version, etc. (Those images are intended for web dev, i found another for Win10 UWP development. They surely have some updates and maybe even IDEs preinstalled?)

You can narrow this down by knowing what your application depends on, but at some point you can never be sure.

Even real installation CDs exist in various versions i guess. But if you have one and you know it's old, i'd trust this the most.

Advertisement
On 1/21/2019 at 12:46 AM, fleabay said:

You do not need (or want) to install an OS in a VM. Download VirualBox and find a premade image for each OS you need.

Do you mean to say VirtualBox is not a VM, or that installing a pre-made image in VIrtual box is not installing an OS?

I would be suspicious of installing arbitrary systems downloaded from a random place on the internet from unknown persons.  Especially on a poorly-secured unaudited home network.  Brings to mind the work 'pwned'.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

On 1/22/2019 at 12:37 PM, Bregma said:

I would be suspicious of installing arbitrary systems downloaded from a random place on the internet from unknown persons.  Especially on a poorly-secured unaudited home network.  Brings to mind the work 'pwned'.

Moreover, the probability of the downloaded disk image being set up exactly like you want it is very small. For testing purposes you need to match not only your official requirements (e.g. "Windows 10") but also the specific configuration baselines your customer assistance demands (e.g. try the game after ensuring that you have installed Windows updates A, B, C but not D and E, your video driver supports certain Vulkan extensions, and you have a few Visual C++ and .Net redistributables).

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

On 1/20/2019 at 7:36 PM, JoeJ said:

1. Yes, except things like 3D acceleration

Except if you look around, you can find cloud hosted gaming services, where you basically rent remote access to an actual physical machine with a high end NVIDIA card in it.

These aren't really that cheap, but if you're serious about testing it's worth having a subscription on one of these services and to find one who's hardware differs a little from your own.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement