Shadow mapping methods

Started by
5 comments, last by sdidsa 5 years, 2 months ago

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i have made a certain simulation with JavaFX 3D API and it's working very well so far,
now i wanted to implement 3D shadows and i wasn't able to find any articles or help, i had to read a lot of articles about 3D shadow mapping algorithms but i wasn't able to apply anything on my JavaFX project
i already assumed that it's impossible but if anyone of you have tried that, let me know

Advertisement

I'm not familiar with JavaFX but what exactly is your hangup?  There are plenty of articles on shadow mapping and plenty of different methods of shadow mapping.  Maybe instead of using JavaFX if it's so limited switch to pure Java and OpenGL?  ThinMatrix on YouTube has some good tutorials for different OpenGL + Java techniques: 

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

yes, it's because of the limitations, however that seems like a fair explanation, i will check again and report back.
thank you

I'm looking at the Oracle docs for JavaFX 3D, but I cannot find any indication that it supports custom shaders, or anything else that could be used to create proper shadows in any way I know of. ( It barely supports anything useful according to the docs, it looks like Oracle abandoned it astonishingly quickly. ) In the longterm switching to another graphics library could be a good idea, if the project let's that.

Edit: I thought about it a bit more, the API supports custom triangle meshes, so that could be used to create late '90s style hacked shadows. Basically you define a plane which would "receive" shadows, then take all the meshes that cast shadows on that plane, and flatten them against that plane (project them onto it) into a new mesh, and add those back into the JavaFX scenegraph with a black color, and proper positioning. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend doing this, it's more like a thought experiment.

4 minutes ago, fleabay said:

JavaFX is not abandoned. Also there is no such thing as JavaFX 3D, but if you do a Google search it might seem otherwise because of pages named such as 'JavaFX 3D rotations' which just means 3D rotations in JavaFX.

You are right, I ment the 3D related classes/packages got abandoned quickly. Although by looking at how Oracle treats JavaFX, I wouldn't count on it having a bright future, if I remember correctly they either already cut it out of JDK, or they plan to do it in a future release. 

that's what i thought,thank you guys for your replies and suggestions, i think i should just get over it and start with openGL. ThinMatrix already seems like a good choice to start with, thanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement