Source Control for Indie developers?

Started by
16 comments, last by ChaosEngine 5 years, 2 months ago
8 minutes ago, DavveTheGamer said:

Is what i want to achive possible with GitLab?

Contact them a find out, no better way.

https://about.gitlab.com/sales/

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

Yupp, thanks

Don't forget that you can host your own Git repositories (or Subversion repositories if you hate yourself) behind Apache, or alone, without any significant software requirement.
If you have a web site you can probably run your private version control server on the same machine, provided it has enough disk space and good backups.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Get a copy of atlassian bitbucket server for $10 perpetual license of up to ten users from atlassian's website, download it and put it on a linux vm somewhere, say digitalocean where you can run a box capable of this for about $10 a month.

if you don't need the nice user-friendly interface, skip bitbucket server and just install pure git and save yourself $10 and eliminate the user limit.

That way you have an incredibly user friendly, totally private git server.

Alternatively you can run it "in house" like i do, on a refurbished Dell T310 tower server hosted in my utility cupboard at home (see here for example).

Failing that if you want something more 'enterprise', you can get a free perforce license for any development team of 5 users or less.

GitHub is $7 a month. Just pay them. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
3 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

GitHub is $7 a month. Just pay them. 

For 99% of use cases I agree. Personal taste dictates I want my personal private repos on my lan, accessible without need for internet or a subscription at a gigabit per second. For this I forgo githubs automatic Enterprise level backups and have to sort my own, and have to pay for the electricity, but I do much more with my server than just host git.

3 hours ago, Brain said:

For 99% of use cases I agree. Personal taste dictates I want my personal private repos on my lan, accessible without need for internet or a subscription at a gigabit per second. For this I forgo githubs automatic Enterprise level backups and have to sort my own, and have to pay for the electricity, but I do much more with my server than just host git.

That’s fine, and perfectly reasonable, especially if you do a lot of dev without consistent internet. 

But the OP actually specified “not on his machine” (paraphrased). 

I’m just pointing out that $7 a month is a trivial expense for something so vital to the development process. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement