Is the futue of Game Development AI

Started by
9 comments, last by Lendrigan Games 5 years ago

Do you think the future of Game Industry is AIs designing the whole narrative, drawing all assets and composing the necessary musics. I believe the game engines of the future will revolve around AIs doing art. I, too, am planning to create a procedural 3D modeller and level designer. Will AI doing art outsmart human labor one day? I think the procedural development is the future. Someone is eventually gonna build world's most advanced and easy-to-use engine. You will just say, create a 3D platformer with dark souls, dogs and fairies with most eccentric theme possible and the engine will come up with 10 different game recommendations. The story line will be created automaticly, the game assets will be drawn, musics related to the theme of each level will be composed, everything will be put together with appropriate scripting. Even if it might sound very futuristic, that's the inevitable end of game industry. We can't know exactly when, but it will finally happen. And that would be the end of extremely large AAA teams since everything is automatized. I am gonna write it even if nobody writes it. Can one guy beat all AAA teams? If he builds right things at right time, the cost of creating very detailed environments will be reduced to electric bill. Maybe not me, but somebody will do this. What do you think about that?

Embrace pressure. Because without pressure happens no progression...

Advertisement
On 1/29/2019 at 4:44 PM, algorithmic_brain said:

Will AI doing art outsmart human labor one day?

No i don't think so.

I have a different vision of AI in games. Some examples:

Buy some woods / rocks scans from Quixel, process them with magic NNs, and then you can spray woods and rocks into your level in seconds. No need to send scanning team to the woods, no need for manual post processing on the assets... time and money saved.

Or, for runtime stuff, use procedural character animation learned from some mocap. To reduce the need for infinite expensive recordings, and also to make game characters more agile and flexible.

... pretty sure all this is already happening and in the works.

The vision that you describe is not only nightmare, it would not work anyways. NNs will never be able to create fun, true art, earwig melodies, or anything interesting at all. People do this, and this won't change.

Huge procedural but boring worlds? No thanks. I think we've seen enough open world boredom. You could not sell me such a game.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:44 AM, algorithmic_brain said:

The story line will be created automaticly, the game assets will be drawn, musics related to the theme of each level will be composed, everything will be put together with appropriate scripting.

I think this would be a hoot.  

Have you checked out the very first short-film horror written by AI?

On 2/2/2019 at 6:42 AM, JoeJ said:

The vision that you describe is not only nightmare, it would not work anyways. NNs will never be able to create fun, true art, earwig melodies, or anything interesting at all. People do this, and this won't change.

It’s certainly not possible now, or in the next 10 years, but never? That’s a big call to make. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
5 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

It’s certainly not possible now, or in the next 10 years, but never? That’s a big call to make. 

Fair enough. Likely, after the singularity has happened, one AI will dance like crazy to the melody composed by another. (But we humans will still listen to Smoke On The Water and play PacMan secretly :D )

Nope I don't think so, game dev is one of the ai free zones.

//Dre Reid\\

Even if whole games aren't created by AI, I can certainly see increasing use of tools that can assist a human developer to create games more efficiently or effectively, or smaller teams of human developers to be able to make games of larger scope.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Came across this in the news today which I'm assuming is an actual AI that exists given these other articles.

First I spent a couple moments fearing new technology. Then, I started thinking about what might be cool to use that AI for in a game. I assume what I'm thinking doesn't actually take into account the realities of the AI in its current state but it was cool to think about.

The first thought I had was that an AI like this could be interesting to see as a text adventure kind of thing. You would start with some kind of seed where the AI provides a basic setting and situation in the style of some desired writer. The player enters in pretty much any text for what they want to do and the AI fills in some semblance of a story. The player starts off being told he is a peasant in an ancient fantasy world. A horn sounds as raiders are spotted in their ship just a few minutes from the coast. The player given a prompt then indicates he pulls out his Mark V phaser and blasts the raiders saving the village. Some new narrative that tries to put it all together is displayed and on it goes with the player trying to create the most bizarre situation imaginable because that is what players do. Or maybe a few of them try to follow along in the style of the intended story but either way, there could be potential for some kind of narrative.

Then I thought of a pair of such narrative AIs opposing each other in an open world of some sort. Each AI, thinking they have to defeat the other, they create their own narratives which at some point trigger the creation of agents to scout locations and possibly launch attacks or occupy an area. The narrative AIs would then only be fed back input from the scouts describing what's around or some other reports that might be reasonable to make it to the leader AIs. I would expect tactics to not really change battle to battle but it could be interesting to be a player placed in the middle of it all trying to tip the balance one way or another.

In general, there wouldn't really be a need for an AI to make intelligent decisions, just something that would be a reasonable extension of a plot.

that would be epic @kseh, my only reservation is that the content would feel empty rather quickly.  Maybe if there was a way the AI could peer into the psyche of the human user and keep the user on their toes, that would be really neat.  

A proceduraly generated game would, by itself, be an interesting novelty, but said generation stays appealing for only so long without further updates.  Should such a powerful AI even exist, its creator, parallel to World Of Warcraft, would have to keep adding more and more features and assets in a race against consumer boredom.

At best, proceduraly generated games will be like Unity Asset Kits, requiring human hands to refine and finish them.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement