• Advertisement
jbarrios

How do you market a game on a tight budget?

What's the use of making a game if no one plays it?  Any tips on marketing for cheap or free?

Are there any examples of companies who have marketed with a low budget?

Advertisement

Thanks for the insight Rutin!

13 hours ago, Rutin said:

A lot of times you gotta test the waters and see what works and what doesn't. This of course will cost you more... 

Can you expound on this a bit more?   What do you mean by "test the waters"?

Edited by jbarrios

3 hours ago, jbarrios said:

Thanks for the insight Rutin!

Can you expound on this a bit more?   What do you mean by "test the waters"?

Testing the waters just refers to trying different strategies before committing a lot of marketing dollars to a particular campaign. It takes time and money to collect enough data to know if a campaign is worth investing into. Some advertising campaigns do better than others, and it can depend on your target audience, the content within the ad itself, where it is displayed, what day, time, (demographics), and the actual product itself, ect... It's not uncommon to do a lot of tweaking and running different variations to see which generates the desired result.

There are no guarantees in marketing, you're essentially making an analysis and seeing how things play out. Going in blind is a sure way to burn through cash very quickly though...

My old business partner devoted majority of his time doing just that, and I can assure you this isn't going to happen without a good sized budget, and a lot of time.