• Advertisement
moeen k

LOD should be used with which type of models and environments?

hi.

im working on a simulator and i want to know experimentally should use LOD with which type of models. is LOD for very highpoly detailed models or it should be used with all types of models?

as we know LOD are multiple models that one of the is enabled in a time. so enabling and disabling them can have CPU and memory consumption. so what is the most efficient way to work with LOD?(level of detail)

Advertisement

as we know LOD are multiple models that one of the is enabled in a time. so enabling and disabling them can have CPU and memory consumption.

I think LOD can be more general than that. For example, there are incremental and procedural LOD systems as well.

As for memory, it doesn't seem like changing LOD levels would necessarily affect memory consumption. For example, if all the necessary data for an LOD series is kept in memory, the same amount of memory (roughly speaking) may be used regardless of what level of detail is selected.

im working on a simulator and i want to know experimentally should use LOD with which type of models. is LOD for very highpoly detailed models or it should be used with all types of models?

Intuitively it seems like LOD wouldn't be necessary or appropriate for all types of geometric data. There are various considerations that might come into play, such as hardware capabilities, general geometric complexity, whether data is static or streamed, what other rendering techniques are being used, and so on.

In any case, it seems like low-poly models would be unlikely to need LOD treatment, and in some cases might not be amenable to it at all (consider, for example, simple shapes like cubes).

A simple answer to your overall question might be not to worry about LOD unless you think you have a particular need for it. Others may disagree with that strategy though.

If you're interested in further input, maybe you could provide more details about the type of simulation you have in mind.

I use LOD extensively for voxelized terrain. Since the terrain itself is done with functions, it takes next to no space itself and is all in memory. So everything that's realize is chunked with LOD at runtime which is also in memory.

I have an idea to do voxelized trees too and they would also use LOD in a similar way, however trees would have a special voxel layout as I'm going for more realism, not blocky trees.

Have some plans for voxel buildings with LOD too. I guess the bottom line for me is near everything will have LOD. I think this is necessary if you want to avoid the classic smog cheat with long viewing distances.

LOD can also be used on animated characters, where skinning might be expensive and the cost per vertex higher than with static meshes, and dropping the tri count can be especially beneficial. In addition you can also drop the max bones / vertex at a distance, and even the number of bones (e.g. no need for finger bones if they are 1 pixel on screen).

Another totally different type of LOD is imposters, which are awesome if you can get them working.

You can also use level of detail schemes on other processing besides graphics (AI / physics).