• Advertisement
johannesg

Question about nullptrs

I have an object that may end up returning a null reference:

object O1 ("foo"); // O1 is null
object @O2 = @O1;  // all ok!

This works fine: both O2 and O2 are null. So surely I can join those statements together?

object @O3 = object ("foo"); // nullptr error

But no, that doesn't work: in this case the script aborts with a nullptr error. Am I doing something wrong? Am I just misunderstanding how it is supposed to work? Is it ok to return null from a constructor? It's doing a lookup for an object with id 'foo', which may or may not exist...

Thanks for any enlightenment offered!

Advertisement

Seems weird to me, to return null from a constructor/factory function. Why do you need to do that? Why not just use a normal function?

I think the reasoning more or less went like this: "In C++ I'd just make a constructor and then throw when I can't get the resource... Angelscript doesn't have exceptions (back then)... Ah wait, it lets me return a nullptr instead so it's all good."

The whole development cycle happened under a lot of time pressure, unfortunately, so once I had something that worked, I didn't spend too much time playing around with it to see if there was a better option. Of course that's now coming back to bite me... And we did this for an external customer, so I should endeavour to keep the interface stable.

Anyway, it's kinda surprising that the two snippets I posted aren't equivalent.

It looks like you've exploited an undefined behaviour in the past. 

I will take a look at this, to see what can be done. However, I'd say that the first case is the one that is wrong, not the second one. A factory shouldn't be allowed to return null without also calling SetException to indicate the failure to create the object instance. 

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll make the necessary changes to ensure I'm not invoking UB. Could I do this instead:

object @O = makeobject ("foo");

and have that potentially return a nullptr?