• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Naruto-kun

DX11 VS2015 Graphics Diagnostics crash

Hi guys

So last night I was working on a rather stubborn piece of code, trying to figure out why a bunch of 1D textures were returning 0s all the time. I finally had to quit and go to bed, but my VS2015 Graphics diagnostics was working fine. Could click on a drawcall in the Timeline window, click on the green play button for the geometry shader, and it would take me into the shader code and allow me to step through it.

Today though, the Graphics diagnostics window insists on freezing, then crashing, whenever I click on the draw call. Looking at the windows event viewer error report, it seems to be occurring in the System.Windows.Media.Imaging.CachedBitmap.InitFromMemory call.

I should point out this is not a reference to something in my code, but rather Visual Studio's own .NET code used to display the render pipeline. The app involved is the VsGa.exe. Anyone else ever run into something like this?

Advertisement

Solved in a funny way. I just switch to the debug output tab instead of pipeline stages before I select the draw call and then I can switch back to pipeline stages no problem.

Aaand now it is back again....And nothing seems to resolve it. Funny though, it only crashes on draw calls that have some element that doesn't make it to the pixel shader. If everything output from the geometry shader appears in the pixel shader it works fine.

As a Microsoft employee I have to say that there are better DX11 Graphics Debuggers out there these days than VS 2015's VSGD. VS2017's is an improvement but you might also want to look at RenderDoc or one of the IHV's own tools depending on which cards you have available (e.g. NSight, Intel GPA).