[WIP] Desert Town Ruins

Started by
6 comments, last by G-Dot 5 years ago

Hello, everybody! Rigth now I'm working on a desert map for my game and start to work on environment meshes.  Rigth now it's a first try and I want you opinion on it and any suggestions, it will help a lot.

Screenshot01.thumb.jpg.0bb5d1f6a9c612a1412eef8b4174b333.jpgScreenshot02.thumb.jpg.f01e6c5591c31a2f61249318816c59db.jpgScreenshot03.thumb.jpg.8381153079d22819b4e208dd677c1d71.jpgScreenshot04.thumb.jpg.def04ce442cb1d741272348966f51ad1.jpgScreenshot05.thumb.jpg.62576e18f6a8d9257c025a2a6538b658.jpg

Advertisement

It looks good.  But the edges look a bit smooth for the cracked and rough texture look.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:29 AM, Awoken said:

It looks good.

Thank you, but suddenly I made up my mind and decided to change location in the game from town ruins to more wild places, and now making a level in canyon. I've made this move for two reasons

1. I felt like my town ruins were very planar and not enough interesting to play, especialy for my type of game.
  2. It would take much longer time to generate all requiered assets for a big ruined city.

OP,what you have looks like a  nice start. You dont have to abandon the ideas of ruins. You can still have ruins in wild places like canyons and deserts.

If you are still interested in designing ruins, you could add some desert plants, pillars and heaps of rubble in and around your structures.

I hope these reference images inspire you:

Ruins in the Sahara desert. Notice the distinct rooms. Perhaps the layouts of your ruins could be based on actual floor plans of buildings? That way exploring the ruins would become more interesting.

imperial-cities-and-sahara-desert-tour.j

Ruins in Syria. Some ruins can be enormous. Notice how the pillars give us an idea of the architectural style of those buildings. 

palmyra-ruins-palmyra-desert-city-plalmy

I dont know where this one is from. But some ruins can be so eroded they start looking like cool rock formations!

Ligara01.jpg

Good luck!!!

Hey, good start so far. The worn stone looks too smooth, having some hard or beveled edges in certain places may not be a bad thing. Also, having a reference sheet of images with a style, layout or quality that you would like to hit is incredibly useful. Do you have any images that you've been using for reference?

On 3/29/2019 at 6:53 PM, NeoBrea said:

Do you have any images that you've been using for reference?

Yes, I do. I use photos of abandoned houses in desrerts, but I decided to move to ruins, because they suit the world better and it's simplier to make them. Now instead of modelling whole houses, I model simple blocks and bricks and panels. And make ruins, using them. This starts to look like ruins on picture and it's better then just model buldings, because it gives me more flexibility and freedom. Also it reduce similarity in the levels.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, pixeltroid said:

OP,what you have looks like a  nice start. You dont have to abandon the ideas of ruins. You can still have ruins in wild places like canyons and deserts.

If you are still interested in designing ruins, you could add some desert plants, pillars and heaps of rubble in and around your structures.

I hope these reference images inspire you:

Ruins in the Sahara desert. Notice the distinct rooms. Perhaps the layouts of your ruins could be based on actual floor plans of buildings? That way exploring the ruins would become more interesting.

imperial-cities-and-sahara-desert-tour.j

Ruins in Syria. Some ruins can be enormous. Notice how the pillars give us an idea of the architectural style of those buildings. 

palmyra-ruins-palmyra-desert-city-plalmy

I dont know where this one is from. But some ruins can be so eroded they start looking like cool rock formations!

Ligara01.jpg

Good luck!!!

@pixeltroid by the way thank you very much. I've searched for a long period of time, but couldn,t find good refs for my friend to tell and show him exactly what I want from models. This is really good pictures.

There are some screens of planes and blocks, which my friend have recently done, he's newbie, but wants to help me with the game. So I told him to make really simple shapes for me and I think he done it really well. There are some bad textures on it, but it's not his issue. 

2hr7nbeUumg.thumb.jpg.c63119bd7677b3a30d4277cd0a52c626.jpgv361QY1Y_50.thumb.jpg.79ee8939d436d60a5793f796dc2d6937.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement