how to Resource Management Game

Started by
3 comments, last by Alberth 5 years, 1 month ago

Where can I find material to learn how to design/develop a Resource Management Game such as game dev tycoon, sim city and similar? Any lecture, book, video that would lead me in the right direction will be helpful.

Most of the video games tutorials are on the basic fps, tile map or platform. But few links relate to these kind of games. Are they too difficult to make?

Advertisement

Depends on how much experience you have. They are more involved to make as it's basically a 'world' simulation with many entities that interact. In eg a platformer, the environment moves but in fixed patterns, and they don't interact with each other.

The design is also more complicated, as in eg a platformer, the path is already decided, the player "just" has to figure out how to achieve it. In a world simulation, you just give the basic tools and the player has to device the strategy to follow.

If you have no previous experience, I'd suggest you start with something much much simpler. That way you make much better progress, and you learn about games as well.

@Alberth  I do have experience making games. I have made platformers, tile maps, 3d games, some vr  using my own c++ engine. 

As stated before, a lot of tutorials focus on the mentioned games, but I havent found many on how to create those resource management kind. I'm not asking for a step by step "How to ..." tutorial, just base lectures or videos on how start implementing that functionality. I dont mind if it's just math, or game design related.

The idea I have is not that complicated, but I havent found a starting point .. yet

Thanks a lot

Ah right. Original simcity is open source which you may want to browse through. It's known as Micropolis now, as the original name is a trade mark.

Basically, each "thing" (building in sim city, person in gamedev tycoon, etc) has a level of performance, which you update every simulation turn (which may be slower than the animations). If the thing is in a good environment (house is in a non-polluted neighborhood, nearby police and firefighters, shops, and work, non-congested road, etc), its performance gets higher, if those factors are less, performance decreases. Better performance than attracts more people, more traffic etc, so it balances out.

To keep it interesting, you need disturbances, like economic dips, or disasters, etc.

At city-level you get financial problems as all services cost money, people must stay happy so you get re-elected etc.

In games such as Dune2, Dune 2K, transport tycoon, roller coaster tycoon, theme hospital, etc, you have resources (wood, spice, rocks) that need harvesting. To harvest you need workers (entities that do a job). maybe they bring the harvested resources to a warehouse. Other buildings exist for further processing the goods. You need specialized workers for those buildings, so you can modify resources into other resources (food, bricks, swords, whatever the game wants). Specialized may need education, which branches into schools (another new building type with specialized workers) that produces new workers.

Lots of different resource types, and harvesting and conversion processes between the resource types. You build chains of such processes (schools make specialized stone workers, which make statues from rock, rock is harvested in the mountains and brought by truck to the warehouse.

This is not about level of performance, it's just entities with a skill, each turn they do something. Walk to the next destination, chop wood, work on statue, etc. When one job is done, they do the next job. Each iteration they make a little progress on whatever they do currently. When the job is done, they select a new job. The next iteration they make progress on that job, etc. Basically it's a simulation over time, where all entities just make progress on their own (it keeps running even if the player doesn't do anything). The player can change the course of the simulation through the gui, basically giving high level commands on what jobs to select next for the workers.

As for games you may want to look at, Open Dune is a clone of Dune 2, CorsixTH is a theme-hospital clone, Dune-legacy is also a dune-inspired game, OpenTTD is a transport tycoon clone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement