Showing Problem solving skills

Started by
7 comments, last by GeneralJist 5 years ago

Hi guys I have a different question for a different job, one that for sure pays money.  There are two responsibilities listed for the job:

1) "Work on challenging, non-trivial tasks in the game dev environment.

2) Work in an environment where code peer reviews are essential. You should be able to accept peer reviews in a professional, positive, and constructive way.  Just like your colleagues will respond to your review.

So I sought out their discord site where they talk about all the games that they are working on, find out information about any new updates for their games, and any issues that they are currently facing.  I then contributed some of my knowledge on their discord site in their bugs and fixes channel.  My question is that by contributing my knowledge to their discord site, does that show my ability to problem solving, work in the peer review environment?

Advertisement

You seem to be rather occupied with finding ways of demonstrating your abilities. Do you have any portfolio projects which reflect your skill level? That is usually a preliminary requirement if you're looking for a job.

15 hours ago, IrfanZ said:

by contributing my knowledge to their discord site, does that show my ability to problem solving, work in the peer review environment?

It's not a substitute for a solid portfolio.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I already have a portfolio set up for myself and continually adding more stuff daily.  I was talking about going beyond that.

If you wanted to see my portfolio it's at:

android.tritongames.site

Maybe you guys can give some feedback

Well, the first thing that strikes me is that your website is severely unfinished. Using a template is no crime, but you didn't even take the time to fill all the blanks, or at least hide the default text. What does that say about your other work? Potential employers could already get scared from this first impression.

It's also hard to tell what kind of role you are interested in. Do you want to be a programmer, modeler, designer? None of that is clear even from your demos.

If you aim to be employable you will seriously have to put more work into this. Try to get some simple games or demos finished, with emphasis on finished. You have to be able to show that you can produce something usable and see it through to the end. Also, work on your presentation, have a curriculum etc. Those things will greatly improve of chance of eventually finding a paid job.

I'm applying for a game play programming position as I have a background in programming.  I have all my codes on Github for each of these games, and I've provided those links in my profile.  I'm trying to figure out how to show those programming skills in this portfolio as it's all basically artwork.  My guess is that with the glowing galaxa sphere I could discuss how I made it look programmatically like that for example.

Provide a list of things you have done in the past.  In theory that will be the bulk of your resume or CV.

When it comes to interviews, employers will prompt you like "Tell me what you did on X", where X is something in your list.  That's the opportunity to explain your problem solving skills. Tell them the challenges you faced and how you overcame them.

Another common interview item is: Tell me about something you wrote that you are proud of.  It gives the same opportunity to state what challenges you needed to overcome, and show you have problem-solving skills.

yes, your portfolio site is confusing and  unfinished. 

All of your links go to "shopping wish list", none of them go to the other games you mention

When I see tabs on a site, I xpect to use them, try reorganizing your content properly. . 

I go to the About section, to learn more about who you are, and all I get is template text, I have no idea what the services tab is for either. 

If I got this in an application,  I'd not go any further. 

Try reorganizing your videos under tabs. 

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement