combination of RTS and TPP

Started by
15 comments, last by Lendrigan Games 5 years, 1 month ago

You could already do this in Dungeon Keeper 2. It was good to let the player know the skills of the different units. Other than that it felt unnecessary and you lost control over the other things happening at same time, which made it a loosing move.

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Uttam Kushwah said:

And the most important thing is to get something made up in your hand, which you understand fully.So that you can modify it when a creative bubble pop up in your thoughts chain

"It" Means the game "you" Myself as developer 

I meant if you have your own game in your hand which you understand fully than you can modify it when you get a good idea to get more valuable product. 

21 minutes ago, wintertime said:

Other than that it felt unnecessary and you lost control over the other things happening at same time, which made it a losing move.

It sounds like it would be hard to balance the two genres, you would end up either playing the RTS and ignoring direct control because you lose too much without the RTS overview, or having to play direct control all the time because your units are useless without it.

...Which reminds me of another game: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission (because I am not familiar with the 1998 Carrier Command). In that game, you got some units that you are "remotely controlling", and you can give them RTS-like commands, but in practice they will just die if you don't babysit them at all times.

It's worth noting that in Battlezone 2, IMHO, the mix of RTS and FPS works really very well. In that game, FPS mode isn't just a gimmick without real play value. Actually, every mission begins in FPS mode, and RTS ("satellite overview") mode isn't even available until you build a "command center". And switching to RTS perspective is done in a really cool way, by jumping out of your vehicle, walking into the command center and pressing <space> in front of a screen inside the building. Accordingly, if your command center gets destroyed, or if you leave the building, RTS view is lost.

Also, the command interface (i.e. how you give orders to your units) is the same in RTS and FPS mode, the only difference is the perspective. In FPS mode, obviously, you only see what's directly in front of you, while in RTS / command center mode, you see the battlefield from an overhead perspective and can freely pan around the map.

All the while, the game is playable in both FPS and RTS mode alone, although it's easier in FPS mode, due to the advantage of direct vehicle control vs. indirect AI control. Also, I always had the feeling that you get a better overview over what's happening in FPS mode (due to "being there") than in RTS mode, even though this is contradictory to what you'd expect. Still, RTS mode is not useless, since it helps a lot especially for base building and/or in situations when you need to pay attention to multiple places on the map at the same time. The two modes are really well balanced.

Ok i have seen most of the above mentioned game's gameplay I didn't find any one resembling to what I am trying to do. Its something like AOE RTS perspective and pubg TPP although the commanding will be same as in any typical RTS but in TPP player won't have control on other than selected unit. 

The only problem I Will be having is to maintaining the balance between these two genres so player won't sucked up into one side of the game, simply offering the player need for both views equally(I don't know how but it will work out somehow). Apart from all the game core development which is still hanging on my neck like sword but it has it's own thrills to offer me. ?????

Thanks every one for all of your knowledge and time. 

To successfully mix RTS and TPP, get comfortable with compromising.

If you have a pure RTS system and a pure TPP system, even if both elements work flawlessly, the player is forced to juggle the two conflicting systems.  Unless juggling is a desired skillset, you'll need to dilute each system with a bit of the other if you want the player to use them both.

some ideas hopefully worth considering:
- Remove any and all peasant ordering from the RTS.  The less micromanaging required, the more free the player is to go into TPP.
- Allow order issuing while in TPP mode (like in Star Wars Battlefront)
- Produce squads instead of individual units.  TPP mode would then take control of the squad leader.
- RTS mode orders entire sections at a time.  TPP mode allows ordering small groups / individual units.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement