First Composition

Started by
4 comments, last by Ada Maskil 5 years ago

I'm creating a video game for a school project and I'm struggling a bit on creating original music.

At the moment I'm looking for critique on my first complete track.

My objective is to create retro music focused on melody, like the ones from old nintendo games.

As a beginner, I started with a simple program called "Bosca Ceoil".It's not the best but I needed somewhere to start.

I've uploaded the track as an attachment to this message, but I bet there are better ways to upload music on forums.If you suggest one, I'll edit my post as soon as possible.

EarlyBird.wav

Advertisement

You'll get more plays and comments on your work if you put your file up somewhere (like Soundcloud or Youtube) so folks don't have to download a file to hear your stuff. The whole virus thing scares people off. Plus folks respond more if you make their job even easier. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Here it is, with a random image

Afelium! Welcome to our community! Even in one of your first tracks, I would say you have some musical prowess already. Like Nsmadsen stated, Soundcloud is the usual medium in which to show your stuff, since it can support WAV files.

In your song EarlyBird, the simple choices of instruments complimented each other. The melody might wander too much, which will make the song become less memorable. Perhaps start with something a bit more repetitive in your first few songs.

I always stress the importance of dissecting other musician's works. Take your favorite composers and pick apart their songs. What instruments are forward in the mix? Where is everything panned? What effects are used? I host a Youtube series where I show you these exact steps, which you can find here: Music Design

With a little more tweaking, I think the song can sound straight from a Gameboy or NES game. Nice work so far, Afelium!

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

Nice job Afelium! I have to agree with Alec, you've got some great potential, but also that the melody wanders a bit. I think one of the most difficult things in the industry is finding your niche, and it seems like you know the genre that you want to aim for which is great. Personally, I really like the intro even before the melody comes in. I can imagine that being looped through the background of a side-scroller game with a very simple scattered melody coming in and out. It reminded me a little of the game "Dustforce," that may be a soundtrack that you can study a bit to see how the composer created memorable melodies that don't get old either.

Keep up the hard work and try to keep composing regularly! Once you can look back on older songs and notice how you would improve them, then you'll know that you're making progress.

Ada Maskil Game Soundtrack Composer maskil.ada@gmail.com https://ada-maskil.wixsite.com/home

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement