My idea for a beat em up action adventure type game

Started by
29 comments, last by Lendrigan Games 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm thinking of a game that's something like how Double Dragon was popular in the 80's but with a major update with more influence off of God of War, DMC type of style and gameplay but more in vein with the classic Double Dragon style with an engaging storyline, cool cutscenes and having lots of different enemies to fight against like suited bodyguards, demons and zombies, mutants, cyborgs, monsters and all sorts of cool stuff, even things like resurrected ninjas and samurais to fight against with each stage having a tough boss to face against at the end of them. Also having maybe around 4 to 8 selectable main characters to choose from to play through each with their own specialties and move sets. Maybe having a multi player co op mode to block as well.

I hope to create a game like this one day

What do some of you think?

Advertisement

Make a basic beat-em-up game first and then experiment with it to see what mechanics really add to the experience.

What you've described doesn't sound terribly different from what's already available.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Adding loads of different enemy types doesnt necessary make the game good. It might be worse off, as you want good quality assets for everything (art, sound, abilities etc), rather than just cramming lots of random stuff together.

Also, think of a more concistant setting; if you add everything the game will end up feeling messy, not cool. 

Same thing with characters. If you have 8 playable characters, can you make them all different enough? Otherwise polish 2-4 characters until they all feel different and fun to play.

12 hours ago, Lendrigan Games said:

Make a basic beat-em-up game first and then experiment with it to see what mechanics really add to the experience.

What you've described doesn't sound terribly different from what's already available.

Is it too boring of a genre to do?

3 hours ago, suliman said:

Adding loads of different enemy types doesnt necessary make the game good. It might be worse off, as you want good quality assets for everything (art, sound, abilities etc), rather than just cramming lots of random stuff together.

Also, think of a more concistant setting; if you add everything the game will end up feeling messy, not cool. 

Same thing with characters. If you have 8 playable characters, can you make them all different enough? Otherwise polish 2-4 characters until they all feel different and fun to play.

Isn't that how most games of this genre are? They pretty much cram all sorts of enemies for you to fight? Would a descent storyline help? Maybe 4 playable characters to play through would be better. Would it be better as a 2d sidescroller with 3d models? Or a full 3d environment? 

Is there anything that you want to see in a beat-em-up game that you can't find in the games that already exist?

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Well what are the most well known beat-em-up games? And when was the last time a new one was made? I'd like to see an amazing storyline that can connect all these bizarre stuff. Bigger selection of main characters to play through fighting enemies, an online mode, co op mode using the good guys and bad guys in almost a DBZ style. the action similar to GoW and DMC, each playable character having a huge set of skills, moves and all sorts of specials maybe?

Okay this is an example of the type of style like camera view and gameplay mechanics I would use for this beat-em-up game that I want to create as a VR game. Of course it wouldn't be exactly like this, just how the 3d movement is and potential style for how you'd fight the bad guys. What do you guys think?

Or would something like this be better for gameplay mechanics and style?

10 hours ago, Peanutsage said:

each playable character having a huge set of skills, moves and all sorts of specials maybe?

Maybe not.

In a realtime game, the player cannot stop to think too much; if action is as intense as it should, a wide range of options is going to be confusing and/or underutilized.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

So something like this if made with some updated engine couldn't work in the middle of action? 

Peanutsage, could you please state your argument in words rather than videos? At least give us some inkling of what point the videos make.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement