My idea for a beat em up action adventure type game

Started by
29 comments, last by Lendrigan Games 5 years ago

I'm sorry. I was trying to show examples of a beat em up game. It was to show that beat em up games can still be fun and still use plenty of moves to fight enemies without slowing down the intense gameplay. What I would like to do is make it based off the action used in side scrollers and update it somehow into a more 3d world like DMC style. See how the combos are used against enemies and how many different moves can be performed? This is the idea I have but more like something in God of War where you can perform all these moves and still keep the atmosphere of the game going where the player isn't overwhelmed with trying to memorize move sets which would be difficult when surrounded by enemies. Maybe have a special kind of input command when the player hits a special move on screen where the MC performs that move with like just like 2 buttons? I'm apologize I'm not very good at explaining this.

If this is something I really want to do, how could I make it so it still has that great fun factor and doesn't get repetitive where you just from onstage to one bad guy to the next?

Advertisement

"Fun factor" is inescapably subjective, so figure out first what -kind- of fun you want it to be (relaxing, rhythmic, reaction challenging, and  combo challenging are all notable kinds of fun for beat-em-ups) and then measure mechanics and ideas along said style of fun.

A fan-favorite method of avoiding repetition is to make various enemies mechanically different from each other.  Ignore health/power as differences and instead create gives and takes in regards to what moves they can do, movement speed, attack speed, attack range, and knockback resistance (to name a few variables), i.e. some enemies move and attack quickly but are knocked off their feet easily, some move slowly but attack quickly, some are average in most things but can perform a lot of different moves, and etcetera.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Okay so are you saying that each individual enemy should be vastly different in terms of move mechanics?  Or just offer enough enemies with variety of move mechanics and some the same? Like in Streets of Rage you might have 4 guys attacking you at once that are the same speed level with the same moves, while 3 more who attack you are slower and big, while 2 to 6 more are average but use say a weapon. In a game like that they sometimes reuse some of the same enemies for the next stage or next wave of enemies that are next to go and attack you. Coudersport making each enemy that attacks you each have completely different speed, strength, weaknesses, movements, range and different design appearances? Or would that be almost impossible to do with so many characters on screen. 

For example, a game like God of War and DMC may have the same kind of wave of enemies attack you that were the same as before. But that's a different genre altogether right?

Honestly this is all probably a bad idea. It just doesn't seem likely that anyone would wanna play a new styled beat-em-up. It's probably too outdated or just doesn't seem to stand a chance against other games today of other genres. Sorry guys, I just don't think I can stand a chance to even have this game even one bit likable :(

The only one in this genre that seems to have done okay is Dragons Crown but that's about it.

I think what you are looking for may be something more similar to this style of game. Jump about 8 minutes in and the gameplay kicks in. It's similar to having the moves like DMC and having upgrades but feels more like a beat 'em up or fighter for combat. It is a favorite game of mine from the PS2 days.

Yes! Maybe something closer to this mixed in with DMC fighting. But how would I be able to make it innovative enough to get other players to want to play it as well? I'm being told that a lot of beat-em-ups don't do well because they get boring and repetitive compared to games made today?

"Games made today" are also boring and repetitive. A few people have given you suggestions not sure what exactly you are looking for. You should research beat 'em ups both old and new see what works best with them. Think of something cool and interesting that those games may not do.

My recommendation make it fast paced and exciting if you don't want them to get bored or repetitive. New abilities they can gain overtime would help. 

here is a bunch of beat 'em up games both new and old that you can reference. 

My only concern is with so many other game competition out there, I want my beat em up to be able to hold its own but you're right I've been given some great advice so far!

Maybe I can give it a cyberpunk feel to it and add some puzzles to help add replay? Oh and I like those references!

You can't please everyone. You should focus on just a couple elements of the game that stands out like graphic style and one combat design elements that sets your game apart. Make that the focus of the project.

Example: Make the combos epic like you can knock enemies into each other and if you build it up high enough you can take out multiple people in a 20 - 25 hit combo. If you get to the max you end up blasting enemies through destructible environment obstacles like walls, doors, and crates.

good luck!

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Do you think this would work better in 3d or 2d? And could an interactive story work for a genre like this?

Also I can't seem to figure out ideas for selectable characters the player can pick and choose from. I wanted to have at least 5 type of different characters to choose.

I got that one would be the well rounded fighter. 

Another would be a heavier slower grappler. 

Another one would be super quick and fast. 

Another one would be a distant melee based fighter.

And one more would be very dynamic and unpredictable.

The problem is I don;t know what kind of designs or ideas that would fit each of those. I know at least 2 of them should be female, the rest could be male, I just don;t want to copy games like Streets of Rage and Final Fights heroes. What are some good inspirations I can use for character ideas to fit each playstyle?

Thank you all for so much help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement