NVidia GeForce Experience

Started by
15 comments, last by vidhnfesh 4 years ago

Hey guys. For nearly every game I run on my laptop, the GeForce Experience tag pops up asking you to enable it with Alt+Z or something. But for some reason, it never pops up in any of my C++ DirectX apps. Which means programmably there has got to be a way to enable it. I tried Googling this and got nothing. What do the pros do? Would be nice to have for FPS counters without having to do your own or use a graphics diagnostics. I use Visual Studio 2017. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Wow nothing o.o . Anyways, I opened up the NVidea GeForce Experience app to see if I can add a program to it, but it would not let me unless supported. I was thinking originally it is because it is not part of their supported list of games (see here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/games/). But even with non supported games, it still pops up in that particular game, such as Alice Madness Returns. In my sample DirectX programs I wrote in C++, however, compiling it in Release mode rather than Debug, and running it still ended up not showing up at all. Do I have to add my program to NVidea exceptions, or what? What could possibly be missing?

[Edit] I posted this question on NVideas forums as well, so hopefully I can get some answers. Maybe from NVidea themselves! Well see.

I always choose not to install that Experience stuff, so got no experience in that regard - but if you just need a simple FPS counter, why not simply install MSIAfterBurner or one of the many other similar apps?

.:vinterberg:.

5 hours ago, Psychopathetica said:

Wow nothing o.o . Anyways, I opened up the NVidea GeForce Experience app to see if I can add a program to it, but it would not let me unless supported. I was thinking originally it is because it is not part of their supported list of games (see here: https://edubirdie.com/analytical-essay-writing-service). But even with non supported games, it still pops up in that particular game, such as Alice Madness Returns. In my sample DirectX programs I wrote in C++, however, compiling it in Release mode rather than Debug, and running it still ended up not showing up at all. Do I have to add my program to NVidea exceptions, or what? What could possibly be missing?

[Edit] I posted this question on NVideas forums as well, so hopefully I can get some answers. Maybe from NVidea themselves! Well see.

I was considering to install GeForce Experience for my current project. Hopefully, I stumbled across your question here and know I'm thinking should I install it or look for some alternatives.

Well not only do you get an FPS counter, you also can use it to record and stream. Pretty useful if you ask me.

I don't have an answer for the actual question...  It probably uses a whole bunch of heuristics to guess whether an app is a game or not ?

But you can use OCAT for performance monitoring and OBS for recording/streaming. If you select NVENC in the encoding options, it uses the same hardware as GFE's shadowplay.

nVidia create profiles for games to work with their GeForce Experience stuff but I've never tried to get a game involved with it.

One thing you might want to watch for is that it might not be using the nVidia GPU at all because it either doesn't realise that it's a 3D app or decides that it should be run on the integrated GPU.

You can add something like the following:

extern "C" {
// This is the quickest and easiest way to enable using the nVidia GPU on a Windows laptop with a dedicated nVidia GPU and Optimus tech.
// enable optimus!
__declspec(dllexport) DWORD NvOptimusEnablement = 0x00000001;

// AMD have one too!!!
__declspec(dllexport) int AmdPowerXpressRequestHighPerformance = 1;
}

Which will tell it to run on the dedicated GPU. This might then mean that it appears as the running app in GeForce Experience and you can then add a custom profile for it.

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

2 hours ago, NineYearCycle said:

nVidia create profiles for games to work with their GeForce Experience stuff but I've never tried to get a game involved with it.

One thing you might want to watch for is that it might not be using the nVidia GPU at all because it either doesn't realise that it's a 3D app or decides that it should be run on the integrated GPU.

You can add something like the following:

extern "C" {
// This is the quickest and easiest way to enable using the nVidia GPU on a Windows laptop with a dedicated nVidia GPU and Optimus tech.
// enable optimus!
__declspec(dllexport) DWORD NvOptimusEnablement = 0x00000001;

// AMD have one too!!!
__declspec(dllexport) int AmdPowerXpressRequestHighPerformance = 1;
}

Which will tell it to run on the dedicated GPU. This might then mean that it appears as the running app in GeForce Experience and you can then add a custom profile for it.

Interesting. I think I might try that when I get home from work.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:02 PM, Psychopathetica said:

Wow nothing o.o

You waited less then 6 hours before posting that?  You can go days without a reply on here, or stackoverflow.  You have to have the right person with the right knowledge come by, see your post and reply.  It's a forum not text messaging ?

2 hours ago, NineYearCycle said:

This code is for laptops for the most part and will not bring up the GeForce options the OP was asking about.  I can attest from first hand knowledge :)  Though it did work on my laptop as my engine was defaulting to the Intel GPU not the nVidia GPU.  So handy code to have anyway.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Your app will probably be detected as supported if you run it in exclusive full screen, or windowed borderless, and specifically R10_G10_B10_A2_UNORM or R8G8B8A8_UNORM or B8G8R8A8_UNORM backbuffer format I believe. The resolution should also be something like 1920x1080, 3840x2160 or some standard video format resolution. It worked for me like this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement