An Aspie Life Beginnings - JRPG/Adventure game about autism

Started by
7 comments, last by EnderLost Studios 4 years, 2 months ago

An Aspie Life Beginnings
v6SuTQ5.png

Introduction

An Aspie Life Beginnings An Aspie Life Beginnings is the prequel to An Aspie Life. Set 9 years before the OG game. Telling the story of how Thales and Aislin first met. The An Aspie Life series is all about autism and trying to recreate what it is like to live with autism. This is done through the innovative mechanics, gameplay, style and sound. For the prequel, you will be able to choose between 3 characters to see their perspective on the world.       

The story in more detail 
“Winter, it’s cold… very cold. The coldest on record! Some say that winter is the season of death. I guess that’s true, but the white blanket that falls on the world. Is a canvas waiting to be carved. 

This town is full of story’s, A towns lifeline is it's populating. There are mystery’s waiting to be solved, broken dreams and fortunes waiting to be resurrected. And in the middle of it all… was us. 3 kids who stumbled into an adventure we never saw coming.” - Aislin     

Links

OG Game on steamhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/786410/An_Aspie_Life/

Twitter https://twitter.com/mebradhen/status/1008590654853640195

FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/TheAspiegame/

Website https://mebradhen.github.io/index.html

Music
A sample of what the music is like.
OST by Joe Watson 

Love some feedback, would really appreciate it!  Grin Hand Joystick

365 days ago, An Aspie Life was released into the wild! So, on this first anniversary, I want to say thank you to all of you who followed that and the upcoming games development and of course played it. So, Thank you!

Well hey there again! For this weeks #screenshotsaturday i finished the school and its background! One thing I have learnt over this project so far, is that good art takes time. What I mean is my vision of the game is… VERY BIG! And as such the amount of backgrounds and detail I have to draw is far greater than the first time. So, it feels like it’s taking 3 times as long… and it because there is 3 times the amount of work with 3 times more detail. Regardless I’m picking away at it when I can between uni and slowly it’s starting to take form.

Now I’ve started work on the outside playground for the school and some of the characters that will populate it.

See ya next week!

Advertisement

This looks amazing!  Really well polished.  What engine/language/tools do you use to make the game?

10 minutes ago, Greedy Goblin said:

This looks amazing!  Really well polished.  What engine/language/tools do you use to make the game?

Thank you.

I use GameMaker and paint.net and that's about it.

The Flamboyant tomboy makes her introduction

Hey there again!

Well, today’s a special day! This #screenshotsaturday the first Build of the game has finally been released!

The current build takes you through the opening to the game. No JRPG battles just yet.

In celebration I’ve made a small trailer.

An Aspie Life Beginnings first RELEASE is now up for free! Thank you, everyone, who has supported this project over the last one and a bit years. Still, a long way to go!

https://gamejolt.com/games/AnAspieLifeBeginnings/347369

https://enderlost-studios.itch.io/an-aspie-life-beginnings

Well, it’s #screenshotsaturday time again!!

In this #screenshotsaturday I’m showing off the new and finalized ‘Meltdown Battles’. These battles took far less time to develop than the RPG battles. And I wish I did this from the get-go lol.

So, in these battles, you can choose between each of the 3 characters. They all have their own move sets and animations. Such as Hotaru and her larger hit radius or Thaules with his higher defence. The player must defeat all the enemies on the screen, by running up and hitting them until their health is depleted.

With each strike the player increases a POW meter, once it is full, they can unleash a MEGA attack on the enemies.
I wanted to give that battles a sort of comic book vibe. So, add the POW and block action pops to really enforce this sense of raw power with each strike.
The enemies Ai Is fully adaptive, and I can just change a few vars to give them a different Ai routine. This is helped a lot to cut down on coding when adding more enemies. But yeah, it’s all come together and I’m really happy with it, there is a little work to still do. Mostly adding the MEGA attacks and fixing some collision bugs.

See ya, people, next time!

It’s Saturday again boi!

AKA another #screenshotsaturday update!

Since last week my goal was to complete the Meltdown battles and polish them up! This week I managed to implement the MEGA attacks and did a lot of cleaning up to the Collison detection system. In one part of the video, you can see a tone of metros come flying down onto the enemy. That is one of the MEGA attacks. These attacks only can be spawned once the players ‘mega meter’ (needs a better name…) is full.

Outside of battles, the player can set up each character with what mega attacks they will spawn within the battle. Through the game, players can get more attacks by finding locked chests. This mechanic will add some flexibility and player choice to the simple battles. As well as be how players get to have a heal ability.

So, once I got that sorted, I went back and cleaned up my code, just to make it more usable and less buggy. And finally started the polishing process. Once again, I am in the process that is the less exciting to update you on.
Well, that’s all for now, see you, people, next week!

And so we return for another week of #screenshotsaturday.

With the core mechanics all implemented, I’ve now turned my focus onto polishing up the code and fixing bugs. In order to do this, I have moved over to GameMaker Studio 2 and abandoned the old engine. This has led to a few capability issues between the project files. But that is why I am doing it right now while I am polishing the game.

The benefit of moving to the new engine is a better debugger. Along with better performance in the game. I hadn’t moved until now because I so use to the old engine.

When it comes to the game, these last 2 weeks I’ve been adding a lot of environmental effects to give the world life. Such as day-night cycles, dynamic plants, dynamic shadows, and the list goes on and on. This is all in an effort to help immerse the player into the game’s world. As that is the goal of any game, especially one with such a large and detailed environment.

On top of this we just have just opened a new discord server for An Aspie Life and other games we have made. discord.gg/h3vcqpH
See you all next time!

Finally, just this week I have released the first Devlog on An Aspie Life Beginnings. The plan is to release a new Devlog ever month.

So you can check that out here

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement