c# clearing images

Started by
51 comments, last by phil67rpg 5 years ago

I really don't like game engines, I prefer to learn with a core language.

Advertisement
18 hours ago, phil67rpg said:

I really don't like game engines <snip>

you know, I'm with you on that one...there's something about getting your hands dirty. even unnecessarily. Sometimes working with an engine, I fall into the trap of 'why isn't this thing doing what I thought' and simply being, it did it different but the concept was the same.

With that said, engines have given me things that I will never achieve from scratch. Unity(C#) allowed me to get a small game on an android device. For me, that was huge. Monogame(C#), all though not an engine but more a framework, was used for two game clones of my best work. My current C++ work, I'm using DirectXTK because of its parallel naming structure to Monogame and by extension, same as the old XNA. With this, I continue to use the same data formatting tools that I use for C# stuff. Also this sector I find comfortable and familiar. That's me.

I do have a new appreciation for win forms now, so thank you for that..  

I was thinking about going back to my bug invaders game , I  just wish I could fix my collision problem.

If you love C# then try to use Monogame. Monogame uses OpenTK. OpenTK is a library for binding C# with modern OpenGL. GLSL skills are very useful. GLSL is similar to HLSL. You can write shaders for game engines if you will learn them in the future. If you like computer graphics and game development from scratch I think OpenTK is a good choice. OpenTK is a part of Xamarin. You can write games for Android and iOS using Xamarin and OpenTK. OpenTK is cross-platform. You can make builds of your games for Mac and Linux. A lot of people uses Mac, Linux, Android and so on for playing in games.

3 hours ago, 8Observer8 said:

If you love C# then try to use Monogame. Monogame uses OpenTK. OpenTK is a library for binding C# with modern OpenGL. GLSL skills are very useful. GLSL is similar to HLSL. You can write shaders for game engines if you will learn them in the future. If you like computer graphics and game development from scratch I think OpenTK is a good choice. OpenTK is a part of Xamarin. You can write games for Android and iOS using Xamarin and OpenTK. OpenTK is cross-platform. You can make builds of your games for Mac and Linux. A lot of people uses Mac, Linux, Android and so on for playing in games.

There is nothing in that description of Monogame that suggests that there are any features that will help Phil understand the issues he's recently been experiencing. Nor is there any value in having a library with cross platform support when the main issue is more about understanding how to put a program together to get the desired result.

I am reading a book called Windows Forms Programming in C#, maybe it will help me in my projects.

Did we break the front page?

@phil67rpg I though I'd check before getting into trouble, but are you happy with the conversations we've been having?

I like getting  input from others.

43 minutes ago, GoliathForge said:

@phil67rpg I though I'd check before getting into trouble, but are you happy with the conversations we've been having?

Just to be clear, generally I think you and @8Observer8 are encouraging. I just happen to emphaticly disagree with his last post though it would actually be good advice for most other student level developers.

7 hours ago, phil67rpg said:

I like getting  input from others.

I like interacting with others. This might work out just fine. Year after year. :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement