• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ProgrammerDX

[D3D9] Is it recommended to clear unused SetTexture to NULL?

Posted (edited)

Hello,

Consider you render something with 2 textures:

SetTexture(0, <texture_ptr>);
SetTexture(1, <texture_ptr>);

After you render something with 1 texture:

SetTexture(0, <texture_ptr>);

Is it recommended to SetTexture(1, NULL)?

Edited by ProgrammerDX

Advertisement

It's recommended to keep them assigned, like for instance a texture atlas (holding all textures) which is assigned to a slot once upon startup and kept there.. Because there's some overhead for each texture assignment call :)

Hm I see, so Direct3D will not bother sending texture data to the second shader that doesn't use the second texture anyway.

What about SetRenderState, is this expensive to do?

SetRenderState( D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_CW );
SetRenderState( D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_CW );

Two rendering jobs that use the same Cull Mode, but sending the Render State twice. (In between the cull mode isn't changed). The question is is this expensive or doesn't cost anything (D3D doesn't do anything under the hood because it understands it already set this Cull Mode)?

For renderstates etc. you'll want to only set them when they change, DirectX doesn't check that for you - so write a small wrapper that keeps track of stuff for you and only set states when needed :)

Posted (edited)

Hm, I see.

I was doing GetRenderState( D3DRS_CULLMODE ) on a "PURE DEVICE" and it actually returns the correct value that I set before. However the MSDN documentation says GetRenderState() can't be used for Pure Device. Do you know why it's working for me anyway?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/d3d9/nf-d3d9-idirect3ddevice9-getrenderstate

Edited by ProgrammerDX