• Advertisement
penguinnn

DX12 How can I specify which render target I'm binding to with a RWTexture2D?

I'm very new to D3D programming, and previously I always bind explicitly my texture to a render target. This time since I need to write values to a texture and then use that texture as an input, I want to try RWTexture2D. However, since I'm also using my previous method to specify other render target (I have a output color texture and other outputs), I have no idea how the order of the render targets will be..

pDstFbo->attachColorTarget(pDstTex, 0);
    pDstFbo->attachColorTarget(pMomentsTex, 1);

(I'm using some frameworks but the code should be straightforward.)

What if I want to bind my RWTexture2D texture to render target at slot 2? Can I specify this in the shader code? 

RWTexture2D gPrevMoments;	// current code, which do not specify which slot in the render target it is bound to

Can I do

RWTexture2D gPrevMoments : register(u2);	// bind to render target SV_TARGET2?

Advertisement

Unordered Access Views (UAVs) work differently in D3D12 than they did in D3D11, since D3D12 has entirely new binding model. In D3D11 if you wanted to write to a UAV (such as a RWBuffer or RWTexture2D) from a pixel shader, you had to use OMSetRenderTargetsAndUnorderedAccessViews and bind all of your render targets and UAVs to shared render target slots. In D3D12 you instead need to build a root signature that includes a UAV descriptor range, and then make sure that you bind a descriptor table containing UAV descriptors to the corresponding root descriptor slot on the command list. It's basically if the same thing that you do for binding SRVs (read-only textures and buffers), if you're familiar with how that works.

FYI you can bind a RWTexture2D to a UAV slot using that "register" syntax that you mentioned. In D3D11 that UAV slot will correspond to a render target slot (so the same slot as SV_Target2), while in D3D12 you need to specify how that slot maps to your descriptor table(s) when building your root signature.

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 9:50 PM, MJP said:

Unordered Access Views (UAVs) work differently in D3D12 than they did in D3D11, since D3D12 has entirely new binding model. In D3D11 if you wanted to write to a UAV (such as a RWBuffer or RWTexture2D) from a pixel shader, you had to use OMSetRenderTargetsAndUnorderedAccessViews and bind all of your render targets and UAVs to shared render target slots. In D3D12 you instead need to build a root signature that includes a UAV descriptor range, and then make sure that you bind a descriptor table containing UAV descriptors to the corresponding root descriptor slot on the command list. It's basically if the same thing that you do for binding SRVs (read-only textures and buffers), if you're familiar with how that works.

FYI you can bind a RWTexture2D to a UAV slot using that "register" syntax that you mentioned. In D3D11 that UAV slot will correspond to a render target slot (so the same slot as SV_Target2), while in D3D12 you need to specify how that slot maps to your descriptor table(s) when building your root signature.

@MJP Hi thanks for the reply. I'm actually really not very familiar with how D3D work behind. Is there any good resources to understand that?

So basically why am I having this question is because it seems for one draw call, D3D can only draw to 8 render target. So if I use a RWTexture2D, does that occupy a render target slot? If it does, then how can I know which one I bind to so that I can manipulate..

Edited by penguinnn

You tagged your thread with "DX12" so I was assuming that this was the API that you were using. Is that the case here, or are you using D3D11?