Issue with Borland C++ 4 MSDOS code compiling.

Started by
86 comments, last by UnshavenBastard 4 years, 10 months ago

Hi,

If someone can help me with this issue, you will (if you want to) temporarily get your name mentioned on my website (when it gets its own URL and host). 

(I am taking a MS DOS programming class)...

I am reading Amazing 3D Games Adventure Set by Lary Myers. The book is old, and I have got the .lib file compiled correctly onto my computer. The issue is, however, when I run the actual demos from the project files that he provided on the disk. He has another folder that just has the games made on it, and the files all work there, but when I run the ones that are supposed to be ready to compile, I get errors that state that one of the assembly files inside the Borland C++ folder that the program requires is a 32 bit file, which it apparently cannot run.

With the other executable files, they run the library perfectly, and I have made changes to prove that it works correctly.

The book source code(although I do not support piracy) is [link deleted by moderator]

I was not the one who uploaded it, and I do have an actual copy of the book that you can get from [link deleted by moderator]

I compile the code with Borland C++ 4.0, and sometimes 4.5 works with the library.

The library works, but the source code does not work.

I also do not really know how to use that version Borland C/C++ compiler, and with the other versions (like 3.0 and Turbo C/C++ 3.1), I know enough to make basic applications and link files to them, something is going wrong. 

Perhaps I do not have all of the needed plugins for Borland...

-rjhwinner03

Advertisement

I still remember buying Borland C++ 4.x a long time ago and it being nonconforming and bug ridden. You better get some other Compiler!

Btw., DOS programming is an outdated skill. ;)

I don't want to be mean, but it's 2019, not 1993.  There are plenty of free IDE's/compilers (hell Microsofts is free now) these days and tons of free online resources that will provide you actual skills and knowledge.  What is your actual motivation here?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

2 hours ago, CrazyCdn said:

I don't want to be mean, but it's 2019, not 1993.  There are plenty of free IDE's/compilers (hell Microsofts is free now) these days and tons of free online resources that will provide you actual skills and knowledge.  What is your actual motivation here?

My motivation is to say I made a game like wolfenstein 3D with its own editor. I can successfully compile the libraries for the engine, just the initial compiling of the games themselves is the thing that I get errors on.

Also, I have seen some tutorials about compiling Borland code with GCC/Codeblocks.

11 hours ago, yaboiryan said:

My motivation is to say I made a game like wolfenstein 3D with its own editor. I can successfully compile the libraries for the engine, just the initial compiling of the games themselves is the thing that I get errors on.

Also, I have seen some tutorials about compiling Borland code with GCC/Codeblocks.

Personally I think your setting yourself up for a lot of suffering. Make the game you want. But my advice is to do it with newer technology. This is coming from a dinosaur programmer too.

15 hours ago, yaboiryan said:

My motivation is to say I made a game like wolfenstein 3D with its own editor.

You can do that with a modern compiler.

Aether3D Game Engine: https://github.com/bioglaze/aether3d

Blog: http://twiren.kapsi.fi/blog.html

Control

AFAIR, even back then they used Watcom C/C++ including 32bit DOS extender for such games, which got open sourced a long time ago and is definitely better than Borland C++.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:38 PM, yaboiryan said:

(I am taking a MS DOS programming class)...

I don't see much value in learning such an old C++ style. However learning plain C and the patterns used there I think does have value.

Many programs and libraries use C and things have changed much less, although having to deal with segment registers I believe is pretty rare now. I assume the point is for learning more about how an basic operating system works and how applications interact with it, maybe a bit of assembly, rather than learning C/C++ as a language?

That said I know nothing about the Borland compiler, my course used ZX80 assembly for that low level part, and for C++ we used mostly C++11 (the latest at the time) on Linux.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement