Issue with Borland C++ 4 MSDOS code compiling.

Started by
86 comments, last by UnshavenBastard 4 years, 10 months ago
42 minutes ago, JTippetts said:

This is such a colossal waste of time, but that's fine. You do you. But at least have the decency to not castigate someone else for protecting their code under licensing or copyright. Write your own code.

Some people.

:) haha

But really the error I get when I is: “Linker Fatal: 32-bit record encountered in module c0nt.ASM”

This assembly file comes with the IDE.

Advertisement

That file is the runtime entry point assembly, can you let me know if it says .386P or USE32 anywhere in it ... I suggest you switch to DJGPP and RHIDE instead of whatever Borland you are using.

P.S. Normally the compiler toolchain doesn't come with the IDE, but it used to back in those days.

10 hours ago, Steve_Segreto said:

That file is the runtime entry point assembly, can you let me know if it says .386P or USE32 anywhere in it ... I suggest you switch to DJGPP and RHIDE instead of whatever Borland you are using.

P.S. Normally the compiler toolchain doesn't come with the IDE, but it used to back in those days.

I have to go to class today. So I will message you back at around 5:00 Eastern Time. 

I have tried DJGPP and was unsuccessful in installing it... 

remember, the file that I am getting problems from comes WITH the Borland compiler...

I know where the file came from, I’m telling you that DJGPP has proper support for DOS protected mode and that Borland 4.5 was 16-bit only IIRC correctly (it has been 25 years). All my old stuff I build with DJGPP today, not Turbo C++. 

Please try DJGPP again, I can help if you hit an installation issue (this site can help too, I’m sure).

Search google for that linker fatal error, anyway if you wish to see how difficult and pointless is writing an msdos software rasterizer (that you even have to use an old pc that can run msdos natively) (or maybe modern pcs can too?) - without usage of any emulators, buy this book:

Build Your Own Flight Sim in C++: Programming a 3d Flight Simulator Using Oop

6 hours ago, Steve_Segreto said:

I know where the file came from, I’m telling you that DJGPP has proper support for DOS protected mode and that Borland 4.5 was 16-bit only IIRC correctly (it has been 25 years). All my old stuff I build with DJGPP today, not Turbo C++. 

Please try DJGPP again, I can help if you hit an installation issue (this site can help too, I’m sure).

The library contains a lot of files. How would I compile all of them?

If you have a specific question, please ask it and provide screenshots of output, information about build environment, list of things you've tried, etc.

Have you tried installing and using DJGPP? http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/zip-picker.html

1 hour ago, Steve_Segreto said:

If you have a specific question, please ask it and provide screenshots of output, information about build environment, list of things you've tried, etc.

Have you tried installing and using DJGPP? http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/zip-picker.html

Yes. I have installed it. 

Also, can someone upvote me so I don’t have negative votes?

If you installed DJGPP and RHIDE you should be able to load your Turbo C++ project directly, you will need to rebuild all dependencies most likely. Can you let me know where you are blocked?

1 hour ago, Steve_Segreto said:

If you installed DJGPP and RHIDE you should be able to load your Turbo C++ project directly, you will need to rebuild all dependencies most likely. Can you let me know where you are blocked?

Wait, RHIDE is an IDE, right?

Ok nevermind. I didn’t install it. 

I am installing it now.

Should I use the Borland version of the code, which is buggy, but I have all, or most of the resources that work with Borland, or the GCC version that someone made online which is is easier to compile, but harder to find all of the libraries for.

The Borland compiler has me lost. I have fixed the 32 bit error, but I get linker errors saying that there are invalid targets to either /Ts or /K...

i am still installing DJGPP.

Borland is terrible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement