• Advertisement

Hi. I have been programming dx12 for nearly 6 months now and I think I still have a misuderstanding on swapchain flags and how they affect presentation. please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is the following:

- DX12 only supports two swap effect flags with the flip model. ie DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD and DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL . My understanding is that both these flags don't need a redirection surface hence the contents of backbuffers are displayed to the screen directly from app. The DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD flag allows for an option were if the presentation queue is full and the call to IDXGISwapChain::Present() is made, whatever is at the end of this queue is discarded without ever making it to the screen, is this correct? The DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL inserts the frame to be presented at the end of the queue. does this mean that the queue can only contain one buffer at a time?

- Both DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD and DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL dont support multisampling. So i have had to set my sample count to 1 and sample quality to 0 for my swapchain desc structure. My question is how would we add support for multisampling like 4xMSAA if these are the only flags supported in dx12. I have seen some usages were these were set to sample count > 1 and quality level queried which leaves me confused. I still have'nt tested multisampling as I don't use them in my experimental engine.

- The waitable Swapchain options blocks present thread from the calling application until the specified time to wait on elapses. But why would we explicilly specify wait time on swapchain?

- tearing support is included by the GPU vendor. So this allows for options like freesync and gsync to be utilized. I am using an intel gpu and I don't really know how to test this.

- It isn't a requirement for apps to toggle vsync-on on a windowed app. This is also confusing. Won't screen tearing happen anyway if my app is not synchronized with my next screen vertical blank?

Advertisement

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond . This has cleared things up for me . I read carefully and will consider these options when I refactor my code.