Tips for "selling" a game idea?

Started by
6 comments, last by Gnollrunner 5 years ago

As part of one of my classes in Game Design, I've been asked to reach out to the community and I've chosen to ask here. We've been asked to come up with a proof of concept previously in class, and I'm pretty happy with mine. Now I'm asking for any tips anyone has about how I would "sell" my idea to potential investors/other developers. This would just be good to know anyway, and I'd love to get your input.

If you're curious about my game idea, I'd be happy to talk about it if you ask. I won't put it here though.

Advertisement

My personal opinion is ideas are a dime a dozen.  In general I think it's probably extremely difficult to sell just an idea without some kind of demo, even if the idea is actually a good one.  It's probably different for someone who has a history of success, but for a new college graduate, or someone of that ilk, I think you'd have to be really lucky.

This is the wrong forum for this post. It has nothing to do with Programming. 

You want Game Business

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
4 hours ago, RogerPellicano said:

how I would "sell" my idea to potential investors/other developers

If you mean taking a game idea to an existing development company and walking away with a cheque, that doesn't happen.

If you mean convincing staff to join your start-up enterprise and getting investors to fund your new company, then look for information about "pitching" a game, not "selling" a game idea :)

The latter topic is mostly a business topic though. Investors are funding you based on your prospects as a business, so want to see a business plan on how you intend to spend money and make money. The actual gameplay mechanics are largely irrelevant to them (and actually, if your idea is a clone of some existing game, it will be easier to write the business plan, than if you're pitching some new/untested type of game...)

You can hire programmers in India.

Not nice to downvote me, at least i come with a solution how to get rid of his idea.

You wanto say that it is not possible ?

Ok they are not the best programmers, maybe that is why i get the downvote.

11 minutes ago, Sound Master said:

Ok they are not the best programmers, maybe that is why i get the downvote.

I dunno about that..... I've worked 35+ years as a programmer and I've seen some very good programmers from India.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement