New trailer feedback!

Started by
4 comments, last by 1024 4 years, 10 months ago

Hi all

I've produced a new trailer for my game, and although i've been working in C++ and other programming languages as a developer for many years, when it comes to video editing and production i'm still as green as they come (so be gentle!).

This trailer features a lot of the newer gameplay set pieces and mechanics so gets across more the objects and things i want to convey. A few people i've let see this video say that it's a lot better paced than my previous attempts and more exciting to watch.

If you could please give some of your own constructive feedback on this and potential improvements I can make to it without spending money and by doing the changes myself, I would be grateful. (I have no further budget for this apart from my time) - Thanks!

Advertisement

The video is really good!  It's really difficult to create compelling media, whether that be a promotional video or game or whatever.

The game itself looks great and possibly like the kind of game that's gonna get me on the edge of my seat and shouting at the TV (in the same way Overcooked does)!  ?

I think you have a really interesting looking game here, and I wish you luck with your launch.

Two minor comments: the text needs to be bigger and prominent for anyone watching on mobile. And much of your audience will. Second, the start sequence of "incorrect crate" is one of the least grabby. I suggest starting with one of the more exciting sequences you show instead.

One major comments: I wasn't clear from the trailer what the actual game play is? Is this a puzzler? An action puzzler? Some kind of Zach-a-like? It's not clear.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:13 PM, Irusan, son of Arusan said:

I think you have a really interesting looking game here, and I wish you luck with your launch.

Two minor comments: the text needs to be bigger and prominent for anyone watching on mobile. And much of your audience will. Second, the start sequence of "incorrect crate" is one of the least grabby. I suggest starting with one of the more exciting sequences you show instead.

One major comments: I wasn't clear from the trailer what the actual game play is? Is this a puzzler? An action puzzler? Some kind of Zach-a-like? It's not clear.

Hi,

This is a slight necro, but sorry for not replying sooner. It's an unforgiving "anti-casual" puzzle game. I had to actually look up what a zach-like meant, you mean games like spacechem right? Not quite, but yes, perhaps this needs to be made more obvious in the final trailer later this month.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Since you revived the thread, I would like to offer some more feedback.

My very first impression was "too much fog, too visually busy, I don't understand anything". It was only scenes after 11 seconds that started making sense. (For example, the scene at 19 seconds also has a lot of fog, but the boxes have more contrast so it's possible to figure out what is going on)
Other than that, I understood that it's a game where boxes move on an assembly line, and the player interacts with parts of the assembly line to make them pass safely. However, I did not understand the gameplay itself: There were some arrows (that reminded me of other games, so they were familiar), and some lasers and crushers and alarms and bells and whistles, and I couldn't figure out what they did. I feel like there was more focus on "there's explosions when you mess up" and not enough focus on doing things correctly (and showing how the mechanisms are used correctly)

Of course, these were only first impressions after watching the trailer once, after watching it a couple more times some things are more clear (but still not clear enough), but that's the point: if the first impression is negative, the viewer won't bother coming back for another watch :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement