• Advertisement
WhiskyAndCode

OpenGL Opengl error drawing vertex (far)

Hello everyone

I was studying opengl and everything was okay until I raised the terrain size to 5000 (glm :: scale (model, glm :: vec3 (5000, 5000, 5000))). After that the faces began to bug to render, as the video below. Can anyone help me?
In the 500 scale it is normal, but when it is too far away the faces will flash. If I get close it gets normal.

My depth config is glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); 

Thank you.

Advertisement

Please provide more information: how do you create your terrain, are you doing some LOD ? What are the parameters of your perspective view ? Maybe something else that you could think is pertinent ?

Posted (edited)

Hello _Silence_, sorry :)

I made my terrain in max 3d and exported to .obj (300x300 vertex) and I cared for ASSIMP. No LOD. if I do not scale it works correct.
my perspective view setting is:

glm::perspective(glm::radians(camera.Zoom), (float)SCR_WIDTH / (float)SCR_HEIGHT, 0.1f, drawDistance);

SCR_WIDTH = 1365;
SCR_HEIGHT = 768;

drawDistance = 600000.00f; (test)

Edited by WhiskyAndCode

It looks like it might be a depth buffer precision issue. You can try a 32 bit float format for the depth buffer if you are not already doing so. If it doesn't solve the problem, you can also try using the reversed depth buffer technique with floating point depth buffer in which you map your depth buffer to use 1.0f value for near plane, and 0.0f value for far plane. Combined with a floating point depth buffer, you will get close to linear distribution in precision and it is possible to support large viewing distances. You can read more here: https://outerra.blogspot.com/2012/11/maximizing-depth-buffer-range-and.html

It's definitely a depth buffer issue.  Part of the problem is that your far plane is at 600,000 and your near plane at 0.1.  This is a very large range, even with a 32bit floating point depth buffer.  I'd leave your near plane at 0.1 , but I'd pull your far plane back to 10,000 or closer (I'm assuming all distances are meters here). 

cheers,

Bob

I would rather scale the model itself (vertices) rather than using scaling matrix, and yes far plane is a bit too big

Try this instead (works for me ;0)

0.1f, 100000.0f

Hello guys, thanks for replys.

How i change my bit float format for the depth buffer ?

I am creating my depth framebuffer:

glGenRenderbuffers(1, &_textureDepth);
glBindRenderbuffer(GL_RENDERBUFFER, _textureDepth);

glRenderbufferStorage(GL_RENDERBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, SCR_WIDTH, SCR_HEIGHT);
glFramebufferRenderbuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_RENDERBUFFER, _textureDepth);

Try to fit your far plane to the max distance of your terrain (this might work depending on your terrain max size). And try to make your near plane less close (something around 1). If none of this works, you'll have to do what turanszkij told. But before, maybe just extend to a 32-bit depth buffer (instead of 24).

Also, any reasons why you want to scale your terrain that much ?

Some links that could help:

https://learnopengl.com/Advanced-OpenGL/Depth-testing

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Depth_Buffer_Precision

4 hours ago, WhiskyAndCode said:

How i change my bit float format for the depth buffer ?

Use texture attachments. Use GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24 for 24 bits or GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32 for 32 bits. Use GL_UNSIGNED_INT or GL_FLOAT for the type.