logging function, adding __FILE__ and __LINE_ automagically, how ?

Started by
5 comments, last by burnseh 22 years, 4 months ago
ello, Ive wrriten a few logging functions: log_open() log_close() log_write(char *text, ...) What i''m trying to do is have some sort of macro or something where __LINE__ and __FILE__ get added to functions'' arguments automatically. And a bool verbose flag. But I have no idea how to do this. The c book I have doesnt really explain macros at all. so log_write would be: log_write(char *text, bool verbose, ...); so calling log_write("error: some_func() failed\n", true); would print error: some_func() failed LINE: 34 FILE: some_file.cpp but calling log_write("error: some_func() failed\n", false); would not print the __LINE__ and __FILE__ I hope this makes sense to someone cheers for any help, rich
Advertisement
How about something like
log_write(const char *filename, int line, bool showInfo, char *text, ...)
{
// Expand args
// If showInfo is true
// Tack on (or prefix) file/line information
};

I know the GNU compilers support variable number of arguments to macros, so you could clean it up by creating a macro:

#define LOG_WRITE(showInfo, text, args...) log_write(__FILE__, __LINE__, showInfo, text, #args);

I think that should work, haven''t tried it though
Variable number of arguments to a macro isn't standard C/C++, and only GCC (that I know of) supports it. Perhaps another way would be like this:

log_set_file( char *file, int line );    log_do_write( bool verbose, char *text, ... );    //    // Now, log_set_file sets a global variable which is the file/line    // and log_print uses that global.    // next, create a macro like this:    #define log_write log_set_file( __FILE__, __LINE__ ); log_do_write    //    // you use it like this:    log_write( true, "blah, blah, blah...\n" ):    

It would still call the log_set_file() function even if you set verbose, but you don't usually expect your logging functions to be super-fast anyway.

codeka.com - Just click it.

Edited by - Dean Harding on December 9, 2001 1:33:45 AM
quote:Original post by Dean Harding
Variable number of arguments to a macro isn''t standard C/C++, and only GCC (that I know of) supports it.

The C99 Draft disagrees with you. Here''s an example it gives:
  #define debug(...) fprintf(stderr, __VA_ARGS__)  

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
THANK YOU !

cheers for the help guys, I''ve managed to get it working !

i''m so happy... :D

cheers,
rich
quote:Original post by Null and Void
The C99 Draft disagrees with you. Here''s an example it gives:
    #define debug(...) fprintf(stderr, __VA_ARGS__)    

Pfft, how many compilers implement C99?

GCC is still the only compiler that I know of that implements it (and it''s done differently to the standard as well )

codeka.com - Just click it.
quote:Original post by Dean Harding
Pfft, how many compilers implement C99?

I won''t argue with that .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement