Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lubb

Windows95 Is Discontinued; Should I Buy A Copy?

Lubb    122
A few sites noted recently that the latest DirectX update (8.1) isn''t compatible with Windows 95, and MS has said that as of November 30, Windows 95 is "officially unsupported". It is still available for sale and will be for some time, but any future updates for Windows are not guaranteed to be compatible with it. A lot of people are still using it though, and may be for some time. - I have three PC''s; a new AMD-1200 running generic Win98, a 3-yr old PII-350 with a proprietary CD for Win98, and an ancient (age unknown) generic 120Mhz 586. The 586 was bought second-hand with Win95 already (illegally) on it. The usefulness of the 586 is the concern here; it works fine now but if the HD gets screwed, I currently have no way of putting Win95 back on it. If/when I try Linux again, I will put it onto the #2 or #3 machine, not the 586. -OEM-generic-Win95 goes for ~$70 locally at the moment (-too much), but will fall in price as time goes on. ~ - My questions are such: outside of hardcore software development/compatibility testing, is there any reason to maintain a PC specifically running Windows 95? Is there anything that will run on 95 but not on 98?

Shag    122
Win95 was nothing more that win 3.11 with a 32 bit front end. Windows 98 wasn''t much better, but it had better driver intergration (into the Kernel). Unless you HAVE to run Win95, I really wouldn''t bother. It''s too old to be considered a viable moderm operating system. Sure, it was great when it came out (PnP etc) but it''s seriously dated now.

My own (very personal) opinion is to aim software for a minimum of Win98SE, but better still, W2K or higher - that way you get the latest DirectX support, via MS software, and hardware drivers.