Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Average polygon count for these game engines?

This topic is 5852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is an average polygon count for a engine (per render cycle)? and please correct me if I''m wrong... #polygons per second = FPS * #polygons per render cycle (1 frame) What are the statistics for games like.. Quake1? Quake2? Queak3? Unreal? UnrealT? No one lives forever (lithtech)? Asking for average polygons per second depends on the computer (because FPS is involved). So my question is, what are the average poly count per render cycle?

OK FPS is not what you think it is

FPS = #frames per second

some frames may render 500 polygons per frame, and some may render 500,000 per frame. The two are seperate. You can't say that the first case is faster - because it's doing far less work.

Do you have Quake3Arena? If you do, look at the console command (I forget which one you want) which shows how may triangles are rendered per frame. Incidentally, Q3A can show (sometimes visually) just what the engine is doing.

Edited by - Shag on December 8, 2001 12:56:06 AM

Let me clarify what I meant. If you mailed John Carmack, I seriously doubt that he''d know the average # polygons (triangles) per frame - this varies so much it becomes irrelevant.

ok, well... I don''t have Q3 arena...

well, I just wanna know what kinda performance is considered good....

is it realistic to say that 500,000 poly per frame is a good average performace that rivals quake3? I''d think quake3 would have a lower poly count that that since

500,000 * 30 (fps) = 15 million polygons (which is kinda hard to beleive)

what is the "bottleneck" of those engines? What is their thresh-hold until it says, "ok, I can''t do anymore"....

would you say 100,000 (a frame) running at 30fps on a mid level card (GForce2) is good performance?

quote:
Original post by GOOSEDUMP
would you say 100,000 (a frame) running at 30fps on a mid level card (GForce2) is good performance?

Totally off topic but...
since when was a GeForce2 mid level? I''m thinking thats HIGH level. A midlevel card is, say, a Savage2K (which is what I have) or a TNT2 / GeForce. I care, mainly because I have such a crappy card...

------------------------------
BCB DX Library - RAD C++ Game development for BCB

Number of triangles per frame is not really a very good performance measure. The number of triangles in each frame varies so much, plus you have to take into account things like number and size of textures, number of lights, etc.
Polygons per second is not that much better. Framerate is really the only one of any use.

It sounds more like you are asking how many polygons there are in the average scene, not frame, though. To that, I don''t know the answer.