• Advertisement
DarthDobber

I just had to point out how spot on this guys prediction was

This guy asked why Ray Tracing was so slow.  Bacterius explains the problem succinctly and then goes on to explain how to fix the problem.  He even gave a time-frame for when the solution he proposed would take to come out.  Low and behold, he was spot on.

This probably breaks a ton of rules but this guy deserves the credit.

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/635956-why-is-ray-tracing-slow/

Advertisement

Well, now it's 2019. I've got an NVidia 2080 RTX running with Unreal Engine 4 and I can ray trace 1920x1080 scenes in real time at 60 fps. It's been something graphics programmers have dreamed of for 30+ years. For a long time, I thought it would never happen, but here we are. This afternoon I was ray tracing a scene with two metallic spheres and counting the number of bounces in their reflections and modifying it in real time. Wow! A scene like that would have taken a few minutes to render on the CPU 8 years ago, even with multi-threading.
The tech is only 3-4 months old though, so it's easy to run into areas which aren't fully supported yet. It's also easy to crash your video card on accident. But, I think in the next few quarters, we're going to start seeing a lot of these rough edges getting smoothed out. Seeing RTRT in upcoming games may take a lot longer though: release cycles are long and publishers & devs are going to target a market that doesn't have RTRT capable GPU's quite yet. Give it a few years though, and I think ray traced games will become a lot more common.