Help on crafting a game plot and setting

Started by
4 comments, last by krb 4 years, 10 months ago

Hi guys.
If I eventually post it in the wrong section please feel free to move/lock this Topic.

So I need help to close the gaps of my ideas.

Here what I have:

Players play a game within the game. So basically every Player control two Characters (one in real world (W1) and another in the artificial (W2)). I can handle create the fantasy world (no problem) but I really struggling to elaborate the "W1 activities and goals that aren't boring once all W1 characters are just regular humans.

Additionally I want that something (or someone) in the W1 will attempt to corrupt the mmo game (W2) but I can't find reasons to defend W2 once it would be super simple to just wipe out all data and reupload a new game. Basically I need reason why a villan could destroy the fantasy world and why defend it.

After all that I'm also thinking that at some point the real world characters could start to manifest theirs fantasy world characters' power but I wish it: 1)didn't sound stupid and 2) not every person or country could create a super human being that easy.

I hope anyone can help me.

(Sorry about terrible english)

Advertisement

What if W1 takes place in a science-fiction/cyberpunk setting?  Recreational prosthetic replacement can both spice up real-world activities and cover large portions of the gap for "manifestations of the MMO."

One possible villain would be a moral elitist who's acquiring rights to various chunks of the game's code (perhaps the game is a cobbled-together pile of parts from a bunch of in-house engines).  As he gets the rights to various chunks, he re-writes values within those chunks to what he thinks they ethically should be.
The team (or the rest of the team if the villain is one of them) is trying to roll with the punches because they love their playerbase, but they're so busy with the work that they have trouble combating the real-world antics.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Maybe the villain didn’t like what the game was evolving into, so they decided to replace everything in the game with their own ideal world, but the players didn’t enjoy that, so they have to fix it somehow.  I’m not sure how though, but it’s a start.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

• The boring humans of interest can have an adventure, replacing their ordinary boring activities. It has been a standard solution to the problem of uninterestingness for the last few thousand years.
  • A virtual world can acquire real importance, as described in fiction like Snow Crash, True Names and Ready Player One and demonstrated (in a less immersive form) by the social networks of our dystopian cyberpunk present. Real relationships and emotional investment, real work, real money, real law.
    You only need to make it credibly permeable to good and bad external influences rather than tightly controlled by a central owner; maybe a federated system?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

First off this is going to sound ridiculous but hear me out.  Look up a synopsis of or even watch the last 2 seasons of Riverdale.  They were objectively bad and I only watch it to punish myself for liking TV but I think they did a good "world within a world" thing with a D&D like game being used by a religious cult to get kids to do their bidding, which is in turn being controlled the bike mafia as a way to sell drugs or something, IDK it gets convoluted and is over serious like everything else on the show but that's what makes it camp and fun to watch I guess. 

Anyway, the point is in doing a story like that you need to have that moment where it was all initially presented as fun and games, until it got real...and the guy you thought was in charge actually isn't, maybe the guy who the audience was led to believe was mindless lackey actually is, maybe he isn't, who knows, the point is everything you thought was now isn't, for example thinking it's all fun and games, and that it's not real, because it isn't and is, respectively.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement