Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIGMA

Storing Object Hierarchies?

SIGMA    122
Okay, I was just wondering the best way to go about storing massive amounts of geometry data on an object by object level, with each object having its specified vertices. Should I use a linked list so that I can be dynamic and memory efficent, or will the traverses slow down performance? Should it be just a simple list of structs? Any ideas? (this is a 3d engine by the way )

Shannon Barber    1681
A linked-list transversal at the vertex level would absolutely wreck performance.
A vertex buffer (which is an array) or a section of a larger vertex buffer for all the geometry, and a heirarchy of structures with index pointers into that vb for various components would get you on your way. You could consider some sort of collection-like list/map for the IndexBuffers for enhanced flexiblity (at the cost of performance).

This is how I would start at it...

struct IndexBuffer
{
int iBegin; //Starting VertexBuffer index

int iEnd; //Ending VertexBuffer index

};

struct BiPed
{
IndexBuffer LeftUpperArm;
IndexBuffer LeftLowerArm;
IndexBuffer Head;
IndexBuffer UpperTorso;
//...

};

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO

SIGMA    122
Yes I agree with you, a linked list at the vertex level would be insane; however, I meant a linked list where all the nodes stood for one object and under the node would be a vertex buffer (or maybe indice pointers?), average z value, average radius, etc... Would this be an acceptable means of storing geometry data?
Thanks,
-Jesse

Shannon Barber    1681
Oh sure, that would be a trivial quadtree (only one quad for the whole world). At some point you have to do that - where is the question.
I'd recommend that max radius from the center as well (for collision detection).

BTW, collision dectection runs a 3D engine - nearly everything you need to do will require a tranversal of the world to detect a collision (or lack there-of). So making that transversal fast is important - which is way people use things like quad/oct-trees and bsp-trees(when appro.) instead of simple list.

A list of objects will get you started though.

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on December 9, 2001 4:05:16 PM