Use Pointer or Reference?

Started by
6 comments, last by wah_on_2 22 years, 4 months ago
A or B is better? Why it is better? A.) int num =10; aaa(num); void aaa(int &temp) { ......... }; B.) int num =10; aaa(&num); void aaa(int *temp) { ......... }; Thx.
Advertisement
A is better. However, A is not _always_ better.

In this specific case, A is better because all you want to do is pass the value of a construct to a function without creating a local copy (and also optimize the stack manipulation). Fine. If, however, you wanted to pass an array you would want B (note that arrays are always passed by reference anyways). The difference lies in the internal processing:
void aaa(int &temp){  // double temp  temp *= 2;}.void bbb(int *temp){  // double temp  *temp *= 2;} 

Note the extra ''*'' in bbb(); it''s necessary to access the value in *tenp rather than the pointer temp. This can be very useful when manipulating arrays and other contiguous memory regions (C-style strings, for example).

Hope that was actually helpful.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Thank you!

Are you mean that if i pass array to a function, i am better use pointer than reference?

But i don''t understand that:
"In this specific case, A is better because all you want to do is pass the value of a construct to a function without creating a local copy "

Pointer is also without creating local copy. what are the differents between Pointer and Reference in this case?

Thanks.
B is bad, A is worse, a-mon-avis.

A)
int num=10;
aaa(num);
void aaa(const int& temp)
{
//don't twiddle temp
}
Unless you're overloading operators, use constant references. If you're going to twiddle it, tell the user by requiring a pointer to it.

B)
int num=10;
num = aaa(num);
int aaa(int temp)
{
//twiddle temp
return temp;
}
Int are small, so copying them is less expensive than using pointers to them. If you want to twiddle a structure or a class, add a method to the construct.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you've never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on December 9, 2001 3:55:37 AM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Mm.....i know the following program will has same result.

A)
void aaa(int &temp){ temp++ };
int num =10
aaa(num);
cout<
B)
void aaa(int *temp){ (*temp)++ };
int num =10;
aaa(&num);
cout<
My question is what are the differents between them and which one is better?

If the num variable is changed to a large object, which one will run faster and space saving?
Mm....Here cannot display double "<", i use pintf to replace it.

printf(num);
Use [ source] [ /source] tag to surround code, or use & l t (without the spaces) for a less-than symbol.
(& g t for >)

Neither is faster, they type doesn''t matter, it''s just a different way to write the same thing. It''s my opinion that references are prefered to be const (the expection is operator overloading, where you use non-const references to make the operators work like they are supposed to)

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
oic.
Thanks for your help. I learned a lot of things here. Thank you very much! ^^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement