Game Input Required

Started by
4 comments, last by ProtoThis 4 years, 11 months ago

Hello Everyone,

Let me first apologize if i posted this in the wrong topic (the question concerns adding music to a game and asking for advice on what direction to go). I am currently working on a very small and simple game. As I am one of those developers which always starts big great projects which nobody hears from again :). This time I wanted to set a goal for myself to actually create (and finish) a simple game and learn something new (unity in my case).

The game is almost finished but it is lacking a very important part: MUSIC !!!. I have been looking at various music sources online but I cannot find any music that fits my game. Not saying it doesn't exists but for some reason I am very bad at picking out what music fits with this kind of game, i guess i am just not creative in that way. So thats why I wanted to ask the community for some pointers / directions especially with all the professionals in here.

Quick sum of what I am looking for:
- Music should be royalty free
- Music should allow commercial use (game will be free with a single In-App purchase to add 2 more gamemodes (will be approx 1 dollar))
- Should fit the game
- Would be prepared to pay for the music (but budget is really small approx 20 euros (which is imho almost an insult to artists))

Questions:
- Should I add multiple songs to my game (to add some variety) or should I stick with 1 (soundtrack style) song?
- What genre would fit this kind of game (was thinking about chiptune style mixed with modern samples mixed in, but I really have no idea)

A video of the gameplay of the game (unpolished): Youtube Link

With kind regards,

Ferry (aka StaticCube / ProtoThis)

Advertisement

Your game could use a few songs, or even multiple song cues in one long song as the pace gets more intense. I definitely hear synthy electronic kind of music kinda like cube runner:

portfolio: sonascenicaudio.wixsite.com/website
email: sonascenicaudio@gmail.com

Looking forward to hearing from you and best of wishes regardless on your project.

Hi SonaScenic,

Thank you very much for your reply. Looking at the cube runner video that is indeed the style I am looking for :-). 

The increasing the intensity part sounds really cool. The game basically starts out slow gets faster and faster. (Although there is an option to instantly set the game to 75% of the highscores speed increase).

Any tips on how to find / create a soundtrack like this would I need to find multiple samples which go together and stitch them together?

Also increasing intensity doesn't necessarily mean faster right it could also mean that the song has more instruments / more chaos right,

With kind regards

Ferry

It depends on how your gameplay works. Does speed increase at a fixed rate (does the speed increase no matter what the same way every time), or is it affected by gameplay (the player's movement/choices in the game). If it increases at a fixed rate, yes you could just intensify the song by adding more instruments. It really would be no trouble to me to write something for you. I could use this for my portfolio and that would be greatly appreciated! :D:D:D

Hi SonaScenic,

Would really appreciate your help on this one, will send you some details on the game this evening :) . (at work atm so not much I can do yet ;)).

With kind regards,

Ferry

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement