is making an app with xamarin as a cross platform tool stil a bad idea??

Started by
3 comments, last by codejunkie84 4 years, 11 months ago

hi.

im a .net developer and as unity expert its easy to code with c# for me. as i wanted to start a mobile app, xamarin was my first choice but advises said that xamarin is not performant and its hard to develop for big projects. as i searched flutter and react had upper-hand and with primary tests i found flutter is faster to develop and easier. but the problem starts when with flutter when i want to use a service like firebase, qr reader and... i always have issues with deprecation, build version, not finding resource of package and.... for example for old versions or youtube tutorials the app works well but when i use old versions i just get deprecation messages and  when i use latest versions i get message like "Your application could not be compiled, because its dependencies could not be established."

i believe  working outside of visual studio and microsoft solutions can be a hell.

i just asking for exprience. is xamarin still a bad idea to work with????

Advertisement

Xamarin is a really good solution for writing multi platform applications, I like to use it myself. However, I can also understand and confirm the performance concerns. For a "normal" application Xamarin is really recommended, but where performance is important (like games) the device gets very warm and the application slow.

Xamarin also has a disadvantage not to be underestimated like all C# and Java based solutions: You can easily decompile them. I think this is also the reason why many people only use one "Loader" with Java/Switft/Objective-C/... and the actual game in C/C++ (also because of performance).

On 5/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, codejunkie84 said:

Xamarin also has a disadvantage not to be underestimated like all C# and Java based solutions: You can easily decompile them. 

Eh... who cares? 

You'd be lucky if anyone cared enough about your game to go to that trouble. 

@moeen k what's the architecture of your game? Are you planning on putting everything client side, or will there be a server component too? You could always use flutter for the front end and .net Core for the server.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Maybe it interests him or others? Maybe nobody cares either? But it is up to the reader to decide what is relevant for his project and what is not. However, this decision is not up to you whether these language characteristics are important or not.

I have only mentioned that this is a characteristic of this language and nothing more. By the way: "Trouble" is not an issue. Using JAD (Java) and the DotNetReflector is a 5 minute action and even beginners can use these tools. ?

But at the end of the day it's his decision and he needs all the information he can get to make a good decision - for himself and his project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement