• Advertisement
babaliaris

OpenGL How to create a 2D Renderer that will support all OpenGL Versions?

Posted (edited)

This problem came up to me when I run my project in an old laptop that doesn't support core profile at all (The openGL version is 2.x). GLWF fails because I explicitly telling it to use core profile 3.3. Core profile 3.3 is where I've learned openGL and since I'm new I don't know anything else.

So in older machines that do not support openGL 3.3, how am I going to make my renderer work? Do I need to rewrite the renderer in legacy openGL (or however is called) which I have no idea how to do that?

I'm aiming to do something like SDL. But SDL is more advanced if I'm not mistaken. By default all rendering is being done by the CPU and if you want you can optionally enable hardware acceleration if available to speed up things. In this way, your game will run in any device no matter the graphics card.

Or should I forget it and use SDL? 😛

Thank you!

Edited by babaliaris

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

The base of OpenGL is that it can be extended threw its so well named extensions. So basically if you start an old OpenGL context (that is 1.1 or 1.2) then you can still access all the extensions supported by the running hardware, up to what OpenGL 4.6 can offer and limited to what the hardware and driver is supporting.

Edited by _Silence_

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!