ray-tracing

Started by
13 comments, last by Kaesebrot 22 years, 4 months ago
hi is it possible to code a (fast) ray-tracing engine for 3D-Games, or is it senseless to start ? I think with ray-tracing I can do some cool things, that´s why I want to do this.. Edited by - Kaesebrot on December 9, 2001 4:18:50 AM
Advertisement
You can get a nice fast raytracer even on a "low-end" machine, but if you want to use it for games that is going to take a heftier system.
Raytracing is incredibly slow. Your framerate would be in seconds (or minutes, depending on scene complexity) per frame instead of frames per second.

-----------------------
0wn 0wn 0wn your goat
gently down the pw33n
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
I''ve seen realtime raytracing go as fast as 20-30 FPS on simple scebes, so it''s possible, but only for real simple games. Search the web for rtChess.

I wouldn''t try it for anything more complex than chess or pacman, though.
I think it can be done at a low res (320x240). U can try a mix from two (poly-render and ray tracer), as I thinked some time ago.
The new Doom game is going to use some sort of ray tracing.
Kaesebrot: I think you should pursue the idea of writing a ray tracer, real-time or not. It''s a great way to get acquainted with the mathematics of computer graphics in a very API- independent way.

As for real-time ray tracing, I''m not an expert, but from what I have seen, you will either need a super computer or you are going to need to sacrifice a lot. By sacrificing I mean dirty hacks and whole lot of preprocessing, and even then you won''t be able to do the fancy eye-popping stuff like depth of view, motion blur, soft shadows, diffuse materials, etc.

Good luck.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

probably just to pre-calculate light and shadow maps which will then be rendered/blended-in as a second pass on the geometry. i really doubt carmack''ll be doing any true ray tracing realtime.
pc hardware is still not even close to pulling it off high-res full screen with all the bells and whistles and tricks you get with modern lighting and texturing hardware.

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Original post by Anonymous Poster

probably just to pre-calculate light and shadow maps which will then be rendered/blended-in as a second pass on the geometry. i really doubt carmack''ll be doing any true ray tracing realtime.
pc hardware is still not even close to pulling it off high-res full screen with all the bells and whistles and tricks you get with modern lighting and texturing hardware.

I''m pretty sure the lighting is done in realtime. That''s one of the main features of the new Doom engine.
bleh, this fuck board messed up my quote!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement