Pixel Plotting in D3D?? Point List VB or is there a better way...

Started by
4 comments, last by Vulcan 22 years, 4 months ago
If I wanted to plot singular pixels onto the screen, what would be the best way to do this? In D3D. I have set up an ortho matrix & such, and know that you can do it w/ a VB & point list, but is there a better way? -Vulcan
Advertisement
simply put, you DONT pixel plot in d3d8. if you really need to, lock a texture then render the texture. d3d is meant for doing 3D graphics and not pixel plotting. what are you trying to do?
Im trying to create a pixel particle engine... I dont want textured particles or none of that.

-Vulcan
If you are going to ''plot'' pixels then render them as a line list not a point list :-)

Reg''ds,
Steve

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

Most particle engines use PointLists, as far as Im aware (mine does, anyway)
yes a particle system you would use a pointlist or billboard quads. much better since you can see the particles change size as they get move away/towards the camera giving nice sense of depth. also billboarded quads using additive blending can make super looking effects. most particle systems on 3d accelerators use billboarded quads or point sprites. the texure you owudl load would simply be a white sphere that fades to black as you move away form the center. you chnage colors via the vertex colors.

also next time mention what you are trying to do with what you are asking, will get you a better answer faster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement