• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZeroRadius

Aspect Ratio in Unity?

Hello, 

I started a new project, it is a slightly angled top down RPG. The camera will not follow you but instead when you walk to the edge of the screen it will take you to the next screen that the edge was connected to by moving both the camera and the player to the next "room". I would like each screen to look exactly the same across all devices no matter the aspect ratio (right now things get cut off when I change the aspect ratio), is there a way to do this so that I get a consistent experience across all devices?

Advertisement
1 hour ago, ZeroRadius said:

I would like each screen to look exactly the same across all devices no matter the aspect ratio

The decision is mostly about what is most fair to players in different scenarios.

If one person is on a low-resolution screen and one is on a high resolution screen, what is fair for your game? Should they show the same geography but the high res player see more detail?  Or should they show the same detail and the high res player see more geography?  

If there are three different views, one is landscape, one is portrait, one is square, what is fair for your game? Should one see more data to the sides, one see more data up/down, one be clipped on both sides? Or should all of them be constrained to the same geography? 

Once you've decided those, you can implement different features. That can mean adding different quality settings based on the display, or it can mean implementing black bars (or decorative borders) so different screen sizes see the same window of the world. 

Exactly what is fair depends on the game.  Displaying a different view, displaying more buttons or data, displaying a different shape, displaying higher resolution images, each can affect the fairness of different games, or have no difference at all in different games.

Bars and borders plus a scaled viewport inside that constrained area can give you the same display on each screen, but that is also the most unpopular way to do it.  Many people absolutely hate bars and borders, others will scream at you for scaling the viewport since it can blocky on their high resolution screen.

Open and flowing to the screen size tends to be least fair across multiple players since bigger monitors and smaller pixels reveal more of the world. Fewer people complain about them, except in highly competitive games.

Thank you for the reply. I think I will just put extra filler (walls, trees, etc) between each "screen" that way the stuff being  cut off in some aspect ratios will not be important (or playable area)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!