• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
phoz

new developer here

Posted (edited)

Hi there, Im training to be a game developer, been training for years, im 42 now and I have experienced to early days of gaming as a kid, programming machine code on my 8-bit zx spectrum and then later messing with my commodore amiga mainly using deluxe paint, but that's all old stuff. I'm learning c & c++ & c# .trying to focus on c & c++ first and keeping a mental note of what is relevant to each language. I got my books for reference material, my pc with decent spec win 10 x64 dirctx12 capable graphics card, visual studio Im also a 2d/3d artist and have 3d sculpting/modelling/painting/rendering software which im working on some game assets. then im also a musician, make sequence music, Ive studied sound engineering and played in a band when I was younger, I can play guitar/record too.

what really like to is some retro-inspired games but with using all of the power available to a directx12 app, If you remember the megadrive/snes and if you've played any mame arcade games id like to make some games that have that feel from that era and id like to use tracker music, like make some chiptunes and stuff, but id still like to design a game that uses the graphical power on a modern system, just in a sort of 3d retro flavour.....

I spent a lot of time years back thumbing through game development books but im trying at compiling bits of code and it makes sense now that I was told the best way to learn is through actually getting stuck in and writing code.

I'd like it if some dev with coding experience could take me under their wing and get me up to speed, everything else is going well.

I could provide assets as an artist/musician and id like to start a project. reply if u think you can help :)

anyway hi and ill be posting on here regular :)

Edited by phoz

Advertisement

Hello and welcome!

You have come to the right place for everything game-development, I think :)

I haven't seen much mentoring here, but the good news is, you don't need one. Instead you can have a lot of mentors, each one with specific knowledge and experience. Just post any question you have here, and people here will respond. In that way you get feedback from several directions, on any possible subject. It beats having a single person as mentor every day.

You're right that getting stuck in coding is the best way to learn. Generally recommended is to start with a few simple classic games, like Pong, Space invaders, or Tetris. The reason to uses these is that they are well known, so you can concentrate on coding, rather than also having to think what the game is supposed to do. The beginner resources contain a lot of pointers how to start. If you like a more creative challenge, have a look at GameDev challenges. They are often retro-inspired, so you'll likely feel right at home :)

If you're looking for another person or group to co-operate with, there are Hobby Project Classifieds where you can have a look. Finally, there are blogs where people regularly post their stories, keeping the forums for questions and discussions.

So, grab a chair and some coffee or tea, find a nice little challenge for yourself, and start the adventure!

Hello @phoz !

thanks for sharing your background. I probably can't help technically, but maybe this makes you feel young(er). I am reaching my 60s soon(tm), am a retired archaeologist, and started with C/C++ a little more then 2 years ago. Before i had only very little contact with "coding" via dbase, basic, ... but that was in another millennium.

I now have a very naive (and constantly changing and evolving) render framework running (Linux/C++/OpenGL), but of course compared to someone who does this for decades it is very basic. I learn best alone and from books, and practice, practice, practice, and my next challenge after finishing creating ellipsoids and clad them into height maps and textures, is to explore the world of concurrency and physics in the game loop.

In 15 years you're probably much farther with game programming ;-) I mean, if people still use computers by then ...

Thanks Alberth for the welcome, it’s good to get an idea of how things work here. And thanks baron for your comments , It’s great to know where you are with things, I’m still taking first steps coding c++, I’ve had goes at learning the language and then haven’t managed to quite get there, I’ve been making some progress recently and things make sense more now, I think just a bit more experience actually coding and building is helping me understand, thanks for your replies 👍

To get some experience coding, I'd suggest you make a few simple console games. Nothing graphical, just print lines of text at the console. Typical games here are hangman (computer has a word, you have to guess by entering letters)  or higer/lower (computer picks a number, you have to guess whether it's higher or lower than your previous guess. If correct, computer picks the next number etc. If wrong, the game ends. How many turns can you guess right?)

A bit more difficult is tictactoe, first for 2 players, then (again more difficult) have the computer play against you. Another option is a text adventure here.

Printing lines of text as output isn't the best possible user interface of course. The biggest win by doing that is not having to program any graphical stuff at this point, which is again a world of its own. That means you can fully concentrate on converting a general description to code that actually runs and behaves as it should. It is likely also small enough so you don't get totally lost halfway. If you never wrote a program of yourself from scratch, these programs provide lots of new things to learn about, and you only need c++.

Thanks alberth, I think I’m going to follow your advice and code a few simple games, a text adventure like the ones on old 8/16 bit machines might be a good start, I know that I could make a console app using the std lib with cout & cin, I’m probably slightly further on with the language than a console app but not by much, I have some good reading material though, I have a “sams learn c++ in 24 lessons” book which I’ve had a long time which serves me well, also a “c++ primer” book,I have Kernighan & Ritchie (k&r) second edition ansi c book, a “c++ for dummies “(which I don’t look at much), I have an orielly “c# in a nutshell” which I’m planning on giving more time to once I’ve digested the c & c++ stuff I’m learning. I’ve got a 20 y.o petzold “programming windows” 5th and 6th edition (don’t know how relevant that is today) . Anyway I’m  keeping busy chipping away at it. 

Posted (edited)

So im going to code a text adventure, I’m thinking I can hopefully change the text colour in std::cout and then try and play some tracker music using the openmpt libs [these are extra touches that I’d like to implement], I’ve got a good idea for how the game will work, describing scenes and available actions, and a bit of humour was always good in the old txt adventures, I read enough novels to be able to set some narrative/structure. I’m going to try and do something later today.

its a super lame project but it’s all for the benefit of learning

im going to do it on the side as I’m learning to do directx app

Edited by phoz
?

Posted (edited)

Sorry to bump the thread but I was thinking  It would probably be sensible to do it as a straight console app then consider incorporating those other features if possible. It would also be platform neutral  like that

Bump over lol :/

Edited by phoz

Text adventure sounds good. Colour etc is obviously platform-specific at least in theory. In practice, ANSI escape sequences are pretty well supported both at Windows and Linux (don't know about Apples), giving you the 16 colours of the universe which is likely sufficient.

One option you have is to make a console adventure, and then wrap it in a directx application. No idea how complicated it is to output text onto the screen in directx (in opengl it's not exactly trivial), but that would allow you to hook all kinds of extensions into the game. Not only more colours, but also images or animations if you like.

EDIT: Instead of posting new posts below your previous one, you can also edit the existing post and mark changes explicit as edits like this.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!