Jump to content
  • Advertisement
David.jones

Making a dream come true!

Recommended Posts

Hey guys!!

Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate the look and potential advice! As the title says I really want to make a dream come true by being able to create and put out a game for the phone or pc!

I've always had a love got games and i really got into them when i first started playing mmorpg on the PC. WoW was an inspiration and the many games that came after it. Ever since the beginning of my gaming life I've always thought  about " how cool would it be to create  a game for people to enjoy?". I've played many and everyone of themhad its ups, downs, uniqueness and similarities. 

I have ideas and I think I am a good creative writer, but lack the skills on programming and art work ( I doubt a game of stick figures would go well for me) so I am looking for help on where to go, who would like to help and explore my brain and give me some advice. I am looking into coding because I would like to learn, but dont think that would be my role. 

Any advice would be welcome! My dream is to have a successful mmmorpg mobile game or maybe even a PC game like WoW or so many other fantastic mmorpgs. 

So I guess my question would be " where should I start?" I thinking learning code would be a good start even if i dont think it would be my role in a team.  Any suggestions would help

Thanks again for the read :) I hope to explore and learn more with you guys!

Edited by David.jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Hello,

Playing games and programming games are two very different activities. Much like the difference between making a good looking plate of food and eating it, or designing and building a house and living in it.

For programming, there are resources to consult in the Beginners section. A popular choice is Unity and C#. For more plain programming Python is a good choice. If you want less programming and more game creation, there are a lot of dedicated game-creation packages such as RPGmaker. I think there is an article listing a few common ones in the resources as well.

If you want to create games as project lead, you can visit the Business and management forum, and/or recruit people in the Hobby Project classifieds if you don't have money.

Speaking of the latter, a mmmorpg needs a lot of money, it starts around a 7-8 digit number in your bank account. The reason is the sheer number of people that work on such a project for years. Even if you have that kind of money, it's likely wise to start a lot smaller.

Good luck with your new adventure, have lots of fun, and gain much new knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Alberth said:

Hello,

Playing games and programming games are two very different activities. Much like the difference between making a good looking plate of food and eating it, or designing and building a house and living in it.

For programming, there are resources to consult in the Beginners section. A popular choice is Unity and C#. For more plain programming Python is a good choice. If you want less programming and more game creation, there are a lot of dedicated game-creation packages such as RPGmaker. I think there is an article listing a few common ones in the resources as well.

If you want to create games as project lead, you can visit the Business and management forum, and/or recruit people in the Hobby Project classifieds if you don't have money.

Speaking of the latter, a mmmorpg needs a lot of money, it starts around a 7-8 digit number in your bank account. The reason is the sheer number of people that work on such a project for years. Even if you have that kind of money, it's likely wise to start a lot smaller.

Good luck with your new adventure, have lots of fun, and gain much new knowledge.

Oh definitely! I understand programming and gaming are two different activities! I just feel like my love for gaming and all that would  benefit me if I decide I want to make a game. It doesn't necessarily have to be an mmorpg that is just my fav genre of gaming and I also know money is needed got such things!

I think I could learn programming but it would not just be my main thing. It would I think help me understand everything alot better if I learned a little.

I appreciate  the reply and the advice! I will definitely  look around and see what I may he able to learn and be able to do :D as i said this is a dream and if I could somehow make a career out of it in the future that be amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, David.jones said:

 My dream is to have a successful mmmorpg mobile game or maybe even a PC game like WoW or so many other fantastic mmorpgs. 
 

Hey! You stole my dream! Give it back now!

OK but seriously, I'm a programmer working on the same thing. Most people would call it crazy. A quality MMO is a huge undertaking, and I don't plan on doing some throw away thing.  Also I feel there is no point in doing it, if I'm just trying to produce the same stuff as in every other MMO. At best I'll probably only be able to get a small team together, so I'm working on procedural generation which is initially a lot of work, but should reduce the work load drastically later on.

At some point I'll have to try for some crowd funding, but to do that I want a really impressive demo. Any idiot can make a web site, draw pretty pictures, write some story and ask for money. But if you expect people to send you their hard earned cash, you had better be able to show them something cool.  Even so this might be a pipe dream for me, but you can't win if you don't play.

So where should you start?  I guess you should first decide what you are interested in the most:  programming, art, game design, what have you ...... And certainly you can't do this on your own, so like me you will have to get a crew together.  It's a long slog! Good luck!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

Hey! You stole my dream! Give it back now!

OK but seriously, I'm a programmer working on the same thing. Most people would call it crazy. A quality MMO is a huge undertaking, and I don't plan on doing some throw away thing.  Also I feel there is no point in doing it, if I'm just trying to produce the same stuff as in every other MMO. At best I'll probably only be able to get a small team together, so I'm working on procedural generation which is initially a lot of work, but should reduce the work load drastically later on.

At some point I'll have to try for some crowd funding, but to do that I want a really impressive demo. Any idiot can make a web site, draw pretty pictures, write some story and ask for money. But if you expect people to send you their hard earned cash, you had better be able to show them something cool.  Even so this might be a pipe dream for me, but you can't win if you don't play.

So where should you start?  I guess you should first decide what you are interested in the most:  programming, art, game design, what have you ...... And certainly you can't do this on your own, so like me you will have to get a crew together.  It's a long slog! Good luck!.

It's awesome to see someone with the same dream as me!! You are already a programmer so I think you are a bit ahead of me in that aspect. 

As far as what i want. I'm not an artist to that leaves programming and game design ( which really I dont know what all this one entails) I could do the programming and learn it. 

I know creative words and ideas dont get the crowd funding I would need to start anything. But maybe I would be fit for a team?

Right now I'm just exploring this as a passion if mine I'd like to get into more and give my life a bit more substance. I love games and being able to help create something others would love? That would be awesome 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, David.jones said:

I have ideas and I think I am a good creative writer

This is also a gift you could bring into a team because there are many story driven games out there and good writers, especially game writers are always needed. But this won't let you become a project lead, thats mostly part of game design or programming so maybe you focus on the game design part?

I'm programmer too but also do some game design and sometimes non-production artist work but am far away from being a good writer so anyone has his/her strengths and weaknesses but you need to be a generalist of at least one profession and one other topic in games business to get your work done unless you are an ant in a AAA studio.

1 hour ago, Gnollrunner said:

At best I'll probably only be able to get a small team together, so I'm working on procedural generation which is initially a lot of work

We do the same at the moment for the lack of good artists 😁. We started developing an AI driven content creation software primari for visual content, 3D Models, Animation, Maps but also plan to do the same for uniqeu story driven quests based on a topic I made a decade ago here so I feel there is a market for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shaarigan said:

This is also a gift you could bring into a team because there are many story driven games out there and good writers, especially game writers are always needed. But this won't let you become a project lead, thats mostly part of game design or programming so maybe you focus on the game design part?

Yeah! I feel like I could bring the writing to the table. And some idea or maybe being able to help someone flush out their own thought process. Looking into game design I think I could come up with a concept and get an outline and maybe find some people who would want to help or give some feedback at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, David.jones said:

Right now I'm just exploring this as a passion if mine I'd like to get into more and give my life a bit more substance. I love games and being able to help create something others would love? That would be awesome

It's a lot of hard work. I'm actually fortunate that I "like" programming. it's not for everyone.  It's hard to say if you will like it or will be good at it until you try it.  You should try to develop some skills if you want to be on a team.

There are also different kinds of programming and programmers.  I think many, probably most programmers these says, do higher level programming that I do,  and use game engines, such as Unity or Unreal 4.  That makes your life a LOT easier. However for what I'm doing, I don't think it would be possible, or at least not practical with the current engines that I can reasonably use, because of various technical reasons. I am therefor forced to do a lot of stuff from scratch, but at least it's gong well now.

The key thing for you is to get some experience. I've been programming for a LOT of years. Start doing some small stuff, buy a beginning programming book or use some tutorials on on the web. I like C and C++ because they give you a core understand computers, but you are going to get vastly different opinions on how to approach this. 

As for game design that's another area you could get into.  I actually played a lot of table top RPGs in my time so I'm at least somewhat familiar with the history of RPGs.  If you want to get into MMORPG game design, it might be worth it to play a few D&D games or something like that, as it will give you some background.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!