• Advertisement
David.jones

Making a dream come true!

7 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

The key thing for you is to get some experience. I've been programming for a LOT of years. Start doing some small stuff, buy a beginning programming book or use some tutorials on on the web. I like C and C++ because they give you a core understand computers, but you are going to get vastly different opinions on how to approach this. 

As for game design that's another area you could get into.  I actually played a lot of table top RPGs in my time so I'm at least somewhat familiar with the history of RPGs.  If you want to get into MMORPG game design, it might be worth it to play a few D&D games or something like that, as it will give you some background.

Yeah, I feel like I want to try and get into programming. I think I could do it and I know its not going to be a walk in the park and take time. I'd like to learn so I can offer more in a team if I ever get to that point. 

I've dabbled in D&D and enjoyed what I played and will probably try some more! I also do a bit of writing mostly personal so nothing  published yet but maybe some day!

Thanks for the insight it is really helpful! I know all this will take time and hard work. But I feel I could do it for sure 

Advertisement
12 minutes ago, David.jones said:

Yeah I've been browsing around and taking looks at everything xD

I think this is one of the better web sites, especially for beginners, manly because people take you more seriously even if you are a noob. I remember creating an account on stackoverflow to ask a couple of questions, and people assumed I was a noob (even though they really coudn't answer them), and some were rude and dismissive. I ended up deleting the account the same day, LOL!

13 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

I think this is one of the better web sites, especially for beginners, manly because people take you more seriously even if you are a noob. I remember creating an account on stackoverflow to ask a couple of questions, and people assumed I was a noob (even though they really coudn't answer them), and some were rude and dismissive. I ended up deleting the account the same day, LOL!

Yeah that was my first worry starting out. I didnt want people to think I wasnt serious or maybe to much of a dreamer and nothing really to offer at the moment. But I am learning and I hope I'll be able to learn more from everyone :)

2 hours ago, David.jones said:

Yeah that was my first worry starting out. I didnt want people to think I wasnt serious or maybe to much of a dreamer and nothing really to offer at the moment. But I am learning and I hope I'll be able to learn more from everyone :)

Hey check out my post on the Hobby Projects Classifieds :) I started developing my own MMO a few months ago and I have got to the stage where I need more help. I am a programmer myself, and I got some guys on sound & voice. What I am looking for is a creative mind for quest text, NPC text, main city names, map names, even a name for the game itself...( atm its just Projekt Alpha).

I already have some dungeons & instances, mobs, mounts, items, skills, etc; and I have set-up the server which allows multiple connections into a game world. The game is still in very early stages of development though, it need a lot more content and the terrain & environment is what is lacking the most.

If you want to contribute to my project I would be very grateful, in return I can show you what I am working on , how it works, and you can see the design process for a game and I can teach you some basic C++ and maybe you can make your own script, or a new item or something,  to add to the game :)  We have a small team already but we lack a creative mind and need one urgently, let me know if you want to hear more or if you are interested!

On 5/13/2019 at 7:31 AM, David.jones said:

" where should I start?" I thinking learning code would be a good start even if i dont think it would be my role in a team. 

You can try learning code, but if you're a writer, maybe you're not also a programmer. Most people in game development have a specialty (and sometimes a second, lesser skill). Everybody in this forum is trying to learn programming, so they always recommend learning programming. But maybe it's not for you (but still, you should try, to find out if it is or not).

On 5/13/2019 at 10:31 AM, David.jones said:

So I guess my question would be " where should I start?" I thinking learning code would be a good start even if i dont think it would be my role in a team.  Any suggestions would help

These days, as a writer, you're actually in really good position to make a game. All you need is a little bit of cash. For art, you can easily buy models and environments. For code, you can buy game templates for popular engines and customize them. Then you'll basically just drag-and-drop your game together and end up with a very good demo or prototype that you can show to artists and programmers to enhance it further and then maybe turn it into something really special.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!