• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_Flame_

OpenGL slow instancing

6 hours ago, _Flame_ said:

It's definitely better but 25 fps for 20000 quads is still very far from what i expect.

What you expect, what you have done and what your card can afford are 3 totally different things.

How do you render without instancing ? How many VAO, how many draw calls, how many state change ?

And when you do instancing, how do you do it ? We just know that it is faster if you don't change the transformation matrix (if I remember well). But this does not give good information.

So provide us information instead of I expect more.

Apart of this, yes you card is certainly crappy. These cards are not gamer cards.

Advertisement
7 hours ago, _Silence_ said:

What you expect, what you have done and what your card can afford are 3 totally different things.

How do you render without instancing ? How many VAO, how many draw calls, how many state change ?

And when you do instancing, how do you do it ? We just know that it is faster if you don't change the transformation matrix (if I remember well). But this does not give good information.

So provide us information instead of I expect more.

Apart of this, yes you card is certainly crappy. These cards are not gamer cards.

This topic is solved, i don't have any questions or expectations anymore, thanks.

On 5/15/2019 at 3:06 PM, _Flame_ said:

This topic is solved, i don't have any questions or expectations anymore, thanks.

From your previous post, it didn't looked solved. And so. How is this solved ? It might help people with the same issue than you. It might help people who spent their time to try to help you.

2 minutes ago, _Silence_ said:

From your previous post, it didn't looked solved. And so. How is this solved ? It might help people with the same issue than you. It might help people who spent their time to try to help you.

It solved because i know now that my hardware is crap and can't draw geometry fast.

I also implemented same without instancing and the result is similar.

2 hours ago, _Flame_ said:

I also implemented same without instancing and the result is similar.

Many screen-large trasnsparent billboards on the screen will outperform even middle-end cards, you are rasterizer stage bottlenecked.

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, vinterberg said:

Try using a geometry shader, feeding it a vertex buffer which you expand to quads and output to vertex shader, to see what is faster :)

Tried it too, same performance. But i think you meant " output to fragment shader".

So I have tried 3 approaches.

1. Instancing

2. VBO without instancing with one attribute dedicated to billboard position.

2. Geometry shader where point is expanded to billboard quad.

Same performance for all these approaches - 20000 billboards with 50-20 fps depending on how much geometry is visible.

Edited by _Flame_