• Advertisement
VanillaSnake21

DX11 Why is the wireframe rendering so slow compared to solid?

It certainly should, even per frame, under good conditons. Also depends on the number of draw calls and how often shaders are switched and how complex their interfaces are.

When i debug draw my bounding boxes - one per call, just for debug - framerate really drops. That made me incorporate debug drawing directly in the shader and switch via uniform. The shaders are getting longer :-)

Advertisement
1 minute ago, Green_Baron said:

It certainly should, even per frame, under good conditons. Also depends on the number of draw calls and how often shaders are switched and how complex their interfaces are.

When i debug draw my bounding boxes - one per call, just for debug - framerate really drops. That made me incorporate debug drawing directly in the shader and switch via uniform. The shaders are getting longer 🙂

That would be understandable, but I'm not drawing anything extra. Just switching the flag on the rasterizer. 

Consumer video cards are very slow at wireframe rendering. Their hardware is optimized for filled triangles, since that's what games use. The (very expensive) "pro" video cards will typically be much faster at it, since that functionality is heavily used by DCC and CAD tools.

But before you make too many assumptions you should figure out what your bottleneck. Measuring the FPS alone isn't terribly useful, since it doesn't tell you which part of your frame is slow or why. At the very least you want to figure out if you're bound by the CPU or GPU. Profiling tools can help you with this, or you can you build your own basic profiling utilities into your engine. CPU time is easy enough to measure using high resolution timers like QueryPerformanceCounter, however for GPU timings it's more complicated since you have to use timestamp queries. You also want to be careful not to count the time on the CPU where you wait for the GPU to catch up, which typically happens in Present.

Posted (edited)

Nathan's article is the take away for me...thanks huge.

Next I was thinking, sequential writes verses random writes as a performance downer during the raster.

Edited by GoliathForge

15 minutes ago, MJP said:

But before you make too many assumptions you should figure out what your bottleneck. 

I ran the profilers, however I can't make heads or tails of it, it's I'm not seeing any hot functions, my startup functions take up quite some time, but I don't see anything that's called every frame as a bottleneck, maybe someone can take a look for me? I'm including the profiler report here, I think it should open, but if not here are some screen shots.

HardwareRasterizer190517(1).vsp

cpugpu.png

prof.png

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, GoliathForge said:

That state compared to what? Then your attention goes to the diffs to narrow your search. (I think :) )

What article are you referring to? Where are the "diffs" in the profiler view?

Edited by VanillaSnake21

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GoliathForge said:

That's what I'm seeing, it's showing my engine functions take up 19% of the time, 87% of that is during load, when I'm generating the meshes and compiling the shaders. What should I be looking for? 

Edited by VanillaSnake21