Did I really remake Minecraft?

Started by
53 comments, last by Prinz Eugn 4 years, 8 months ago

I've found the time to update the screenshots/images on the game page and the store page. What do you think?

I'm still waiting for some textures, especially for the armor, until then I can't make a gameplay trailer.

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Magogan said:

I've found the time to update the screenshots/images on the game page and the store page. What do you think?

I'm still waiting for some textures, especially for the armor, until then I can't make a gameplay trailer.

I still think it looks exactly like minecraft due to the cube shaped blocks, pixel art, and construction of scenes plus the landscape generation seems just about the same. If you wanted a completely different aesthetic you could consider spheres, or something else that tesselates, nobody has done triangle base pyramids yet...

I don't want something completely different, especially not spheres (How would that even work? Like a giant ball pit?) or triangle base pyramids.

I want it to look like something you would want to play. I mean, a lot of games look like Skyrim (or any other realistic 3D game), yet no one says that they are Skyrim clones. It's just a stupid thing to say and it's because of all the actual Minecraft clones that really didn't offer anything new.

Cube Universe does offer something new, especially the quests and smaller blocks. I have just added a "Missing" poster on a notice board that gives you a quest: you need to find out where the missing guy is. It ultimately will lead to a dungeon quest but sadly, dungeons are not yet implemented.

It's possible to make something that doesn't look like minecraft and is still voxel landscape. A great example is no mans sky which is voxel generated at planet level.

I wish you all luck with your game. In the end it isn't my opinions or anyone elses that matter as much as your own opinions if you want to make a game to please yourself :)

Not sure if No Man's Sky is that great of an example. I mean, it looks pretty bad, I've yet to see any landscape I like in that game - and I've seen a lot of videos of NMS.

Blocks are obviously something that people love, so why shouldn't I make a game that uses them and adds something new?

I guess I need to make a good trailer to convince people, but how? I could also post dev videos from time to time, I just couldn't do that with all that placeholder art...

10 hours ago, Magogan said:

Not sure if No Man's Sky is that great of an example. I mean, it looks pretty bad, I've yet to see any landscape I like in that game - and I've seen a lot of videos of NMS.

I think different people will have a different take on that. No Man's Sky has it's fans. As for me, I'm not particularly fond of blocky terrain, but obviously other people love it.  I think your game looks fine for what it is.  Sure it looks like Minecraft, but so what?  Your job isn't to convince anywhere here of anything.  As you said, you need to get a payment processor on board and you need to get players. That's all that matters, so whatever you do now should focus on achieving those goals. If both those things happen, what difference does it make what any given guy in a forum thinks, including me.

On your website, you use the word "smaller". The blocks are smaller than what? (Minecraft's blocks.) So it seems you are one of the first to compare your game to Minecraft. I'd recommend ditch the comparative adjectives.

The way the leaf translucency works is also dead-nuts minecraftian.

Transparent textures in general are not the intellectual property of anyone. Neither are blocks of this size. And those suggesting to change the genre of the game or the block size outside of the current technical limits are being ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Euthyphro said:

On your website, you use the word "smaller". The blocks are smaller than what? (Minecraft's blocks.) So it seems you are one of the first to compare your game to Minecraft. I'd recommend ditch the comparative adjectives.

Well, I am comparing it to voxel games in general (Minecraft, CubeWorld, Trove, Creativerse, Staxel, ...). Every other block game I know of uses 1 meter blocks. Furthermore, people will think of Minecraft when they see my game no matter what, so saying the blocks are smaller actually distinguishes my game from Minecraft and other games.

The Thing is your Game looks like a modded Version of Minecraft. For example the Trees are exactly generated as they would be in Minecraft. That's why Quests or similar stuff won't make it special, because you can also use Minecraft, load a Mod who does the same.(maybe also runs more smoothly)
I also used in like 2013 or before, a mod which allowed you to make Blocks as small as you want to in the scope of a Block, so it's actually an old gimmic.
Nonetheless I hope you achieve what you want with your Game.

Oh no, the trees look similar to Minecraft ? How could that possibly be?

Well, unless you go to the jungle where the trees look different...

But I get it, no one is allowed to use anything that existed before in any other game. I mean, if you are not even allowed to use similar-looking trees...

There is no mod for Minecraft that adds procedurally generated quests. It simply doesn't exist. I don't know why everyone says it does, I have looked it up and can't find any such mod. And most "quests" I have seen are just things like "obtain this item to get this other item". Those don't even come close to what Cube Universe offers.

There is no mod that changes Minecraft such that the whole world consists of smaller blocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement