Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hooded_paladin

Anyone know how to cube-map?

I have been looking all over the net for a cube-mapping tutorial, and all I have found are Developer demos using extensions, slide shows (?) that don''t help, and un-commented example source code in GLUT and DirectX. Does anyone know how to or can refer me to a good site? Maybe when I''m done I should write the ONLY TUTORIAL ABOUT IT ON THE NET! Pleeeze help.

try http://nehe.gamedev.net
great site for both beginners and more advanced programmers. look in the tutorials section and you''ll find one that teaches you how to map textures onto a cube

No, not the same thing. That is texture-mapping, I know that! Cube mapping is a way of doing reflections (among other things) by specifying six views and using them to draw reflections on a mirrored object, like a sphere. Sorry, wrong idea.

The only way I have seen cubemapping done is with an extension. Here''s some source code from NitroGLs code. You can go to his website at http://www.nitrogl.cjb.net

// Uploads six images as a cube map

unsigned int TGA_UploadCube(char *right, char *left, char *top, char *bottom, char *front, char *back)
{
unsigned int TextureID;
TGA_t TGA_right, TGA_left, TGA_top, TGA_bottom, TGA_front, TGA_back;

if(!TGA_GetData(right, &TGA_right))
{
free(TGA_right.Data);
return 0;
}

if(!TGA_GetData(left, &TGA_left))
{
free(TGA_left.Data);
return 0;
}

if(!TGA_GetData(top, &TGA_top))
{
free(TGA_top.Data);
return 0;
}

if(!TGA_GetData(bottom, &TGA_bottom))
{
free(TGA_bottom.Data);
return 0;
}

if(!TGA_GetData(front, &TGA_front))
{
free(TGA_front.Data);
return 0;
}

if(!TGA_GetData(back, &TGA_back))
{
free(TGA_back.Data);
return 0;
}

glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1);
glGenTextures(1, &TextureID);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, TextureID);

if(!IsExtensionSupported("GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp"))
{
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP);
}
else
{
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE_EXT);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE_EXT);
}

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE);

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X_ARB, 0, GL_RGB8, TGA_right.ImageSpec.Width, TGA_right.ImageSpec.Height, 0, GL_BGR_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TGA_right.Data);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_X_ARB, 0, GL_RGB8, TGA_left.ImageSpec.Width, TGA_left.ImageSpec.Height, 0, GL_BGR_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TGA_left.Data);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Y_ARB, 0, GL_RGB8, TGA_top.ImageSpec.Width, TGA_top.ImageSpec.Height, 0, GL_BGR_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TGA_top.Data);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_Y_ARB, 0, GL_RGB8, TGA_bottom.ImageSpec.Width, TGA_bottom.ImageSpec.Height, 0, GL_BGR_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TGA_bottom.Data);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z_ARB, 0, GL_RGB8, TGA_front.ImageSpec.Width, TGA_front.ImageSpec.Height, 0, GL_BGR_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TGA_front.Data);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_Z_ARB, 0, GL_RGB8, TGA_back.ImageSpec.Width, TGA_back.ImageSpec.Height, 0, GL_BGR_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TGA_back.Data);

free(TGA_right.Data);
free(TGA_left.Data);
free(TGA_top.Data);
free(TGA_bottom.Data);
free(TGA_front.Data);
free(TGA_back.Data);

return TextureID;
}

Thanks, I already got this answered from another post. I just got my real-time cube-mapped sphere into place, and now I just need a little more tinkering to make it work! I am excited- this is a neat effect and doesn''t run too slowly on my machine. Thanks to all (this post and others) that helped me.

Thanks, I already got this answered from another post. I just got my real-time cube-mapped sphere into place, and now I just need a little more tinkering to make it work! I am excited- this is a neat effect and doesn''t run too slowly on my machine. Thanks to all (this post and others) that helped me.

quote:
Original post by WhatEver
The only way I have seen cubemapping done is with an extension.

Is there no way to impliment cube mapping without extensions? My graphics card doesn''t support the cube mapping extension, but I really want to have this feature in my program.

Sphere mapping should get the desired effect if your card doesn''t support cube mapping, although the quality isn''t quite as good. A quick google search turned up many results, including this Nehe tutorial:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/lesson.asp?index=05

Hope that helps.

----------------
Interesting quote deleted at request of owner

Dual paraboloid mapping sounds interesting, any idea where I could find more information about that? A quick seaarch on google didn''t turn up anything usefull.

Here's some great info on cube mapping from nVidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20010830_4778.html

[edited by - MessageBox on December 15, 2003 3:11:33 PM]