Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3DDEVTYPE_REF or D3DDEVTYPE_HAL?

This topic is 5851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

He''re my computer specs: Asus motherboard with Intel 440LX chip Pentium2 333 MhZ Asus AGP-V2740 video card with "Built-in Intel740 64-bit 3D Multimedia Accelerator" Well, that was the most important. By creating device with D3DDEVTYPE_HAL i get error, that means my video card doesnt support hardware acceleration (''64-bit 3D Multimedia Accelerator'' BLAH!) . So I use D3DDEVTYPE_REF. Many people said me that _REF is extremly sloooooow. But I was wondering if it is true... Everybody who has HalfLife or any of its modes( Counter Strike) will understand why. I have Counter Strike that is using DirectX. Well it MUST be using D3DDEVTYPE_REF because it works fine and doesnt crash on my comp. An it ISN''T SLOW. So: 1. D3DDEVTYPE_REF isn''t so slow. OR 2. HalfLife uses something else (not D3DDEVTYPE_REF or D3DDEVTYPE_HAL) So what do you guys think? Is D3DDEVTYPE_REF really VERY SLOW? Thank You! float over_water();

1. The REF device IS very slow - try running one of the SDK samples!. The REF device is ONLY for development purposes and ONLY comes with the SDK.

2. To be usable under Direct3D in DirectX 8, a graphics card/chip MUST have at least DirectX 6 drivers installed for it. If it doesn''t DX8 will ignore the card.

3. You can still use the DirectX 7 Direct3D interfaces on an older card.

4. IIRC Half Life uses OpenGL so is totally irrelevent as a comparison.

5. If the DirectX 8 D3D samples run at a decent speed, then your program is at fault and is probably asking for a combination of parameters your hardware doesn''t support.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

The guy in the last post has summed it up very well....
REF should only be used in development and should NEVER be in the shipped version..Came to help but have no need to now hehe S1CA has done it already!!

"4. IIRC Half Life uses OpenGL so is totally irrelevent as a comparison."

You can choose software, ogl or DX , it''s NOT only OGL
I''ve switched to DirectX and it runs very fast (but my comp doesnt support Hardware aAcceleration).

float over_water();

From the DX8.1 Docs:

"
D3DDEVTYPE_SW
Not supported.
"

The D3DDEVTYPE_SW device type is meant for people who wish to write their own software rendering engine for computers without 3d hardware acceleration. I don''t know if the DX8.1 docs just mean that no software renderer is provided by default, so that''s why it''s not supported, or that they have removed the functionality so it''s not supported. Basically, it''s an easy way to plug-in a software renderer to your game and still only have to write to one API (DX).

G''day!

OpenGL is s''posed to fall back to software for features the hardware can''t handle (I''m pretty sure this doesn''t apply to OpenGL extensions thoug). Whether it works well or not depends on the how well it''s implemented.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

OpenGL will fall back to software if hardware doesn''t support it. However, the software stuff runs at about the same speed as DX REF mode.

--------------------

Never eat anything bigger than your own head.