Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any tutorial out there?

This topic is 5850 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

''ello everyone! I''m new to this board. And, sorry, I have to bother you with some questions. Does anyone know any good DirectX programming tutorial for beginners? I used to program window''s API''s but I''m new to game programming. Many thanks for ya help, guys WIT Programmer.But beginner in programming games. 07.11.2000

Guest Anonymous Poster
Are you going to program the whole bunch of API''s provided by Direct X ? Or you are searching for some particular API like DirectGraphic, DirectDraw or DirectSound ...

Anyway, if you are new to game programming you shoold really go to the "For Beginners" sectio on this side, there''s a link to it
on the top of the page.

There you should find the stuff to get you started.

If you are through with the beginner stuff you could go to the
to the "Articles and Resources" section of this page,
there yu find articles and tuts to a wide range of topics.

So I hope that will get you started.

I''m going to make two assumptions:
1) You would like to start with the graphics, first.
2) Your using DirectX 8.x (x==0 || x==1)

If that''s the case, you have 5 good tutorials to start with on your hard drive. You''ll find them in your DirectX install directory, along the path (as an example)

C:\MSDX8\samples\multimedia\Direct3D\Tutorials

(Direct3D being the portion of DirectX that handles the graphics)
You will also find three dozen or so examples of code in those directories- everything from joystick control to playing movie cutscenes.
-Tok.

I gotta agree w/ this last post. The DirectX sdk is Awsome! Read the docs and look at the samples and your like 90% there. I started 2 weeks ago w/ the Guru''s book and the kit and now I can do Direct Draw. I''m still using version 6 but if you have a game called Dounugts in your Sdk you might wanna look at it. It''s been the most helpful to me. (plus it''s really easy and has nice graphics, great stress reliver when you get annoyed w/ programming)

Well, I''m not really a beginner in game programming. I have already tried to program some easy 2D stuff. Now I want to try 3D and I need DirectX for it. Direct3D, DirectInput and maybe DirectSound...

Yeah, google is a good source, but I asked for _good_ tutorials

The DirectX SDK was too big for my connection to download it completely, so I downloaded only the stuff you really need. I don''t have those tutorials and if I had...are they good?

Thanks

WIT

Programmer.But beginner in programming games.

I''ve been on the DirectX Dev mailing list for a while now and I''ve found that some of the people on that mailing list are people that either helped in the making of DX or are experts, or work for nVidia. I''m not quite sure how I got onto it, but I think if you go to msdn.microsoft.com/library, under the multimedia section, under the directx section, under the columns section, under the driving directx column section, and go to one of the articles there, at the bottom of each aritcle is a link to get on to the mailing list.

The tutorials in the SDK are extremely good and easily the best place to start. Just go through each of them slowly in order, and you''ll come out with a very solid foundation in Direct3D.

--------------------

Never eat anything bigger than your own head.