How to start in game dev (Programmer)

Started by
6 comments, last by Choo Wagga Choo Choo 4 years, 10 months ago

Hello people, don't know if this is the correct place to post this but here I go.

I'm João, a 24 years old Portuguese dude currently working in Deloitte and have a master degree in computer engineering, I've always had a passion for game development and created two games during my years of university, both for android one AR the other VR using Unity. I have a broad knowledge of a lot of programming languages and love to learn.

Now what you have came to, I want to start my carer in game development, in a few months I want to dismiss myself and try and get work in a game company and after that switch to a huge game company. 

Until there I want to create a portfolio, but needed your help.

I'm creating some articles about my roadmap, there I will talk about what I learned and all the things I've done to create my portfolio, I want to create this for the next guy that wants to become a game dev, should I do it?

Who I should talk to? I've send several messages to guys in Linkedin and waiting for responses.

What should I learn (UE, Unity, Cpp)? Should I take a course? Should I read a book?

Thanks guys and from now on I want to become a recurring user of this forum

Jota Wannabbe Dev

Advertisement

https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/

3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development by Fletcher Dunn

Also, you can "try" to read Real-Time Rendering and Ray Tracing Gems for "ground truth".

Generalist, AI, UI, Gameplay, Server programmers requared just general SW skills. Similar to Microsoft and other. Special areas requared only for Engine/Graphics Engineers.

Hello @Jotap. Welcome. The door isn't even closed behind you, straight to it, yes? Have you taken a look around sufficiently as of yet?  Welcome none the less. I just had a passing mention with a friend of mine regarding detractors bred from action. Let that just settle in the corner. (I'm still processing it myself) This feels like such a blank slate that I don't want to touch it. The resistance you may be feeling from those you deem superior, is that path of teaching while learning. Both positive and major negative aspects. Positive in that you can relate at the ground floor level and I can respect the road map to success concept. A potential negative will be the extra work involved in making an acceptable presentation slowing down your learn rate. Umm, and hardware will still be marching on at some brisk pace. Then again reinforced learning may be of benefit personally.  That's a hard choice that almost all would stay out of for anything other than self. 

As for environment, stick with what you know and produce the best quality you can. This is the advise I intend to personally adopt. C# and Unity are very respectable. The argument would be interested in what your true end goal was. Have Fun. 

edit: completely, 110%, endorse catLikeCoding...without question. 

On 5/31/2019 at 6:03 AM, Jotap said:

I want to start my carer in game development

Moving to the Career forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On 5/31/2019 at 3:01 PM, Makusik Fedakusik said:

Thank you very much, I will look at them and study them, really appreciate it 

Jota Wannabbe Dev

On 5/31/2019 at 7:40 PM, GoliathForge said:

Hello @Jotap. Welcome. The door isn't even closed behind you, straight to it, yes? Have you taken a look around sufficiently as of yet?  Welcome none the less. I just had a passing mention with a friend of mine regarding detractors bred from action. Let that just settle in the corner. (I'm still processing it myself) This feels like such a blank slate that I don't want to touch it. The resistance you may be feeling from those you deem superior, is that path of teaching while learning. Both positive and major negative aspects. Positive in that you can relate at the ground floor level and I can respect the road map to success concept. A potential negative will be the extra work involved in making an acceptable presentation slowing down your learn rate. Umm, and hardware will still be marching on at some brisk pace. Then again reinforced learning may be of benefit personally.  That's a hard choice that almost all would stay out of for anything other than self. 

As for environment, stick with what you know and produce the best quality you can. This is the advise I intend to personally adopt. C# and Unity are very respectable. The argument would be interested in what your true end goal was. Have Fun. 

edit: completely, 110%, endorse catLikeCoding...without question. 

Thank you very much for your feedback, really appreciate a honest opinion :)

Now if I can make some questions and comment your reply. 

What are you trying to say about the door behind me being close? 

Are you saying that it's rather be good at c# and unity but don't improve my cpp skills? I really want to belong to a big company, so trying to understand if I should stick to unity or go to ue? 

Jota Wannabbe Dev

1 hour ago, Jotap said:

What are you trying to say about the door behind me being close?

Thank you.. I apologize for my poorly chosen words, meaning nothing more than "have just arrived". C++ is also a fine path with similar methods. Regardless of your end choice, quality should be high priority. There are many here in that very position of deciding employment at the levels you speak. (I am not one of them)

edit: revisiting this, my personal language taste is C#, C++ and python for most executable forms, old school html/javascript/php where appropriate. I don't want to touch the DB :)  But of late has been the functional pull of zio.

Enjoy the ride. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement