Game engines

Started by
11 comments, last by wintertime 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey all I was wondering what is the best beginner 3d game engine for making fps games with no subscriptions to pay for at all and that isn't to hard on the hardware 

I'm running:

I7 3770 3.4 ghz 

16 gb ram 

GTX 1050 ti 4gb 

1tb hard drive 

250gb ssd 

Hi

Advertisement

I think that you should be fine with Unity or UE4. Unity is a bit easier on new developers, but I prefer UE4 personally.

With both, you can make the games for free without paying anything. There are even some free game assets in their market places that you can get.

There are other good engines, but I have no or limited experience with them.

5 minutes ago, DavinCreed said:

I think that you should be fine with Unity or UE4. Unity is a bit easier on new developers, but I prefer UE4 personally.

With both, you can make the games for free without paying anything. There are even some free game assets in their market places that you can get.

There are other good engines, but I have no or limited experience with them.

Nice I do like unreal a lot more, I have felt like unity over the years has got it's self a bad name because of how some quote on quote developers have been super lazy and just asset flipped "there" (air quotations) whole game I heard godot is another good engine and it will be even better in 4.0 because of I believe it is the falcon rendering system that is getting implemented.

Hi

In my opinion, asset flipping is fine for learning, but if you're going to sell the game, it's probably better to spend the time and/or money on at least some unique assets.

Yeah, Godot looks good, but I haven't given it a try. I probably won't give it a try even though I want to because I'm spending my free time on other things.

For learning yes but there are a lot of people out there asset flipping and selling it for upwards of $60 also I really thing itf (in the future) godot will be up there because they are really trying to push 3d so I'm looking forward to it but ue4 I really want to develop in as long as I don't have any hardware limitations.

Hi

I often work on my laptop instead of my desktop, I don't remember the specs but it's turning five in a few months. I'm fairly sure my specs are lower than what you posted. My laptop runs UE4 without any issues and used to run Unity with hardly any issues (haven't gotten into Unity in a few years). Even the almost photo real demos run fine. Might have a problem if I were to try to make something close to the current AAA FPS games, but otherwise it's been fine.

Edited to add, that for disk space on my laptop, I do have to manage the engine versions installed from time to time.

Well I think if I ever get to that level of AAA I would of imagined I would of upgraded by then to someone like a i9 9900k, 34gb ram, 2tb hard drive with a 1tb ssd and a rtx 2080 ti 4gb x2 but I am by nature a solo guy I may if it got too stressful bring  2 people on board or hire freelancers to make assets for the game I was currently working on.

Hi

When you say beginner just how much of a beginner? Can you program? Which languages?

If you're comfortable with C#, you'll find unity a breeze, whereas if you are comfortable with C++ and are open to new ways of doing things (e.g. visual scripting) you'd probably prefer Unreal Engine.

There are many other engines out there such as Godot, most will assume a good level of familarity with a particular programming language to make some progress.

My specs are similar to what you posted, and it's kind of needed for me, i tend to have lots of things open at once. By the time you've got blender, UE4, gimp, visual studio, discord, audacity and a bunch of other stuff all open at once, you'll soon fill that 16gb of ram and be wondering when you can afford to go to 32gb.

Right now my game's project takes about 6.5gb of ram just to open and edit, and here's what task manager looks like for me:

image.thumb.png.9b810d8fbeb42b7b6eedac70cc982cd2.png

Also, with C++ projects, you'll find that having a solid state drive really does help (and put your project on it as well as your OS!) with build times, as despite what others say, i find that the visual C++ compiler spends a lot of time I/O bound when building large executables and libraries.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ram is cheap... buy more!

On 6/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, Brain said:

When you say beginner just how much of a beginner? Can you program? Which languages?

If you're comfortable with C#, you'll find unity a breeze, whereas if you are comfortable with C++ and are open to new ways of doing things (e.g. visual scripting) you'd probably prefer Unreal Engine.

There are many other engines out there such as Godot, most will assume a good level of familarity with a particular programming language to make some progress.

My specs are similar to what you posted, and it's kind of needed for me, i tend to have lots of things open at once. By the time you've got blender, UE4, gimp, visual studio, discord, audacity and a bunch of other stuff all open at once, you'll soon fill that 16gb of ram and be wondering when you can afford to go to 32gb.

Right now my game's project takes about 6.5gb of ram just to open and edit, and here's what task manager looks like for me:

image.thumb.png.9b810d8fbeb42b7b6eedac70cc982cd2.png

Also, with C++ projects, you'll find that having a solid state drive really does help (and put your project on it as well as your OS!) with build times, as despite what others say, i find that the visual C++ compiler spends a lot of time I/O bound when building large executables and libraries.

Good luck and enjoy!

buy more ram...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement